Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would post what I found out. It turns out that the 1996 XTRA-10 uses the same length shock as the 1997+ sleds do (~16 inches eye to eye). The stock IFS shock is 13 inches long. The front suspension itself will support up a shock of up to about 14.5 inches long and still function. The limiting factors in the swap are the length of the torsion bar hole in the trailing arm and the tie rods hitting the bottom of the hole in the bulkhead (note: this was with the steering arms in the stock position; if they were flipped upside down, like the stock 1996 XTRA-10's, you may be able to get more). If you were to cut out enough of a hole in the trailing arm, and cut the hole lower in the bulkhead, it would probably be possible to fit the shock in there, but the front end would look like a jacked up PRO-X and your ski stance would shrink(not to mension the huge stress riser it would create in the front bulkhead with no material between the hole and the 90 degree bend). I am not interested in a super high front end, nor am I interested in performing permanent modification to my sled, so it will remain stock. It appears that the shock mounting location on the trailing arm moved down to keep the front end from raising up substantially. Also, the CRC system would make the steering a lot easier, as it allows the tie-rods to take a steeper angle to the steering arms that is not possible with the center bell crank(i.e. the hole would not need to be enlarged). Just thought I would let you guys know.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.