Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996xls.It wouldn't start, so I took the carbs off and cleaned them thuroughly.It still will not start.I tried seating the needles all the way in adjusting the idle screw in then I tried the opposite.I siphened most of the old gas out and put in some new.I didn't replace the filter but I did drain and clean the carbs.
Please help,snows almost here.
Thanks alot...you guys rock.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
dump some gas down the cylinders and see if she'll fire. could be an electrical problem too

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
are you getting fuel to the carbs? is the fuel pump working, how bout the fuel filters, when were they last changed? dont forget there should be one in the tank. not calling you dumb, but is the fuel on? all hoses connected properly?

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Originally posted by only1bigdaddyo
[br]It will start and stay started if I do that.
Stay started forever? Or run for 10 seconds then die out?

I am guessing die out.

1. All three cylinders getting spark?
2. Fuel is not getting to the motor. Trace them back to figure out where the problem is.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
If you can get it to run a bit by dumping gas but not good, you may have the same issue I did. Check your compression and look for possbile skirts damage or crank seals.

If not that my needles and seats where bad on mine and it took for ever to start once fouled other wise it seemed to never get gas.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cleaned the carbs very well and it will stay running for over a minute if I dump fuel into the cylinder.All three cylinders are about 120-125 on the compression-o-meter.I have started replacing fuel filters because the response when I throttle the gas seems to be good.That's not to say their not bad, I would rather be sure first. The worst thing of all, is I pretty mechanically inclined, It just I haven't worked on small engines since high school.

·
Registered
539 Posts
if it will run with gas dumped in the cylinders, it is not getting fuel through the carbs. your sure the pilot jets are clear in the carbs? is the choke working? those 600 fugi motors liked to sieze the choke plates then bust the choke cable if they sat for awhile.
is the fuel pump pumping fuel?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Carbs should be cleaner than new.But I did find the belt side cylinder is not getting spark,so I'm going to start there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seemed to be related to the belt side cylinder not getting spark.After repairing that concern (see fixed belt side cylinder not getting spark) it started and ran well after setting the mixture and idle.
Thanks again to everyone that contributed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts