Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got offered to trade my boat for a 1996 polaris 600 xlt. But the motor wont idel and is very hard to start. I asked him to do a compression test and he said there reading 90 psi. I know 90 psi is low! But would that be causing it not to idel and not to start very good? If not iam thinking dirty carbs.

·
Registered
659 Posts
90 psi is very very LOW!!! and yes it is probably most likely for sure the cause of both not idling and HARD STARTING!! I have two XLTs one I had rebuilt and bored and it runs 135 psi across all three and the other which needs a rebuild has 95 psi across all three and is in he same boat as yours except it starts and idles still just a little ruff but it should be running 110 psi to 125 psi that is what I would say is a safe zone anything lower should be rebuilt.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Musky30 said:
So i got offered to trade my boat for a 1996 polaris 600 xlt. But the motor wont idel and is very hard to start. I asked him to do a compression test and he said there reading 90 psi. I know 90 psi is low! But would that be causing it not to idel and not to start very good? If not iam thinking dirty carbs.
I DO BOATS BUT I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU HAVE ,,SOUNDS TO ME LIKE THAT MOTOR IN SLED IS CRAP ,,STAY AWAY ..NO DEAL ,, BRENTSBOATS.COM

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just have a 12 foot sea king with a 3.5 horse motor. No trailer so nothing to grand about it. If i do decide to take the trade, Do you guys think i could get away with just rings and a new gasket set?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
its always hard to say with an engine job. if it needs to be honed out its not that bad either. but once u get in there it may need a rebuild with pistons maybe bored or honed or even sleeved. so its very hard to say

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the guy says 90 psi but he sounds like a screw ball and i am not banking on 90 psi till i do a test with my good gauge. But i just wanted to see what you guys think the issue is. I know that the sled is worth more then my boat in parts so most likly i will trade. But i really don't want to do a whole rebuild not that i don't know how its just its alot money! So ill keep you guys up dated on it

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
first off how many miles are on it and do you have any pics? do your own compression check. that way you can be a little more accurate. xlt's are a dime a dozen but sometimes you find a good one that was just neglected and needs a simple tune up. id say check it out more and let us know how it goes. intrested to hear about your find. good luck

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am waiting on the guy to give me the ok to go take a look at it. Id like to do it soon! But this sled has 4368 miles on it. For me that is low to already need a rebuild. But i have never had one like this, So is 4368 miles about time to rebuild one of these engines?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Musky30 said:
I am waiting on the guy to give me the ok to go take a look at it. Id like to do it soon! But this sled has 4368 miles on it. For me that is low to already need a rebuild. But i have never had one like this, So is 4368 miles about time to rebuild one of these engines?
It all depends on how it was takin care of and how hard it has been rode i have seen engines with 5000+ miles that still have 120psi across all three and I have seen sleds with 3000 miles on it that have blown up or have low compression so it could go either way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts