Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
depends on what you want it for. if you are a smaller guy looking to bust trails or bumps, no they are not. if you are a groomed trail rider that wants a sled that can be amazingly fast and corner fast and flat. then yes.
8-10 mpg sled
heavy
heavy
bad stock track
bad stock gearing
ok stock clutching

if I had a 96 storm even for trail riding, i would put an edge 136 track with a cobra under it, do as much aftermarket as i could to drop weight.
do a basic port clean up on the engine, drop the heads down alot, add a bunch of timing, silicone the pipes, gear it way down, clutch it hard. find some used IQ skis or aftermarket skis. and then work on dropping wieght.

if the purchase price was nice and low, it could be a great platform to build a custom sled from. if the price is low and its a first sled, i would see what else you could get. in the tight and twistys an xlt would mop it up.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
You turn the stator plate, which is located behind the flywheel, which is behind the recoil, which is behind the can...

You can do it yerself in an hour-ish with the right tools, a dealership will probably gaff you to do it.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
The stator plate is how the timing in adjusted on most sled motors.

·
Registered
632 Posts
wonderful!!Another member who loves to double post. great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my 1996 Storm 800 came with black gas lines....the ones you cant see through..my question is, did those lines come stock on the sled or should i switch to the see through lines?

·
Registered
632 Posts
I dont think it matters. If the ones you have on there are fine, and dont leak, or are not dryrotting or cracking, then I wouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
If you switch from the black to the neoprene (clear) hoses, you'll also have to switch all your clamps.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Storms never really had a good name. They were heavy and never had alot of power. They do have some potential to be a decent running sled but it wouldnt make sense to put money into the motor with such an out dated chassis. If your sure your getting it for a great deal go for it but by the time you put the money in it to get it to run and ride good your better off spending the money on a newer, more updated model. A 6/700 twin in a gen2 or early edge will out run and ride that storm and you wont have to do anything to it. Most people who buy storms are buying them for the motor. The motors can be pretty bad a** if done right and dropped in the right chassis.

·
Registered
99 Posts
snowmobileguy said:
Here's a picture of my 1994 Polaris storm sks 800.

Extra 12

Uni Air Filters

SLP Pipes

Stinger cans

New track with studs.

The sled is near mint only 1,600 miles bought it for 1,200

2010101217027184_32286.jpg
1600 miles is good and the extra 12 is a huge upgrade all im saying is for 1200 dollars if you look around (craigslist/sledswap) you could have gotten something alot more reasonable. All in all not a bad storm though. Its pretty clean.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yea if he waits he will find the deals I just bought the storm because I always wanted one and it was a decent price. But A few weeks ago I picked up a 2004 arctic cat f7 with 2500 miles for 1650. I just bought it so I can make some money on it I am not to big of a arctic cat fan.This Sunday I am looking at a 2002 Polaris Pro X 440f in good shape new motor bored over a little with lots of new parts for 1300.

2010926101257156_32286.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
in anticipation of snow and after that first snow prices go up. come january and sleds that are still for sale tend to drop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts