Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was going to replace my recoil pull rope this afternoon and found it a little more complicated than I thought it would be. This is my first time doing this kind of job. My 1st question is, according to the attached pic, is that what the spring is suppose to look like inside the housing?

· Registered
127 Posts
jblong83 said:
Found a schematic that helped me out. Now my spring looks like this.

Will this be problematic when trying to recoil this thing?
If you look at the bottom of your recoil (where the rope winds) you will see the notch where the spring needs to sit to catch.

That looks too round, as in the recoil will spin and not catch the spring

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the response. I see what you're talking about. I have been looking all day for a picture of what the spring is suppose to look like so I know how to bend it properly, but I have been unsuccessful. I have hit a dead end for now.

· Registered
3,504 Posts
patience young grasshopper......im usually great with rewinding rope but my sons 550 recoil spring came apart..2 things happened. 1st was MOTHERF***ER! then the patience.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh we're rockin' now! Got everything back together. Oh that was a bitch, but I like doing things myself, so I'm not going to bitch.

This is bitter-sweet. I now have a new problem. Rope binds when it's realing back in. Does anyone know what the heck that piece's part number is?

· Registered
1 Posts
Same problem

This is bitter-sweet. I now have a new problem. Rope binds when it's realing back in. Does anyone know what the heck that piece's part number is?
[/QUOTE]

I had that same problem and it keeps happening, the part number is 5431385

· Super Moderator
11,386 Posts
I replaced the plastic guide with a metal one from a mid 90s indy, keeps it from happening again.

Auto part Motor vehicle Vehicle Engine Automotive fuel system

· Registered
24 Posts

I had that same problem and it keeps happening, the part number is 5431385[/QUOTE]

I had exactly the same problem...I drilled the rivet out, rotated it 180* (there is a key and window on the bottom side) and removed it, then installed it on the other side of the mounting plate (basically backwards) and riveted it back in...the top is now the bottom and problem solved!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.