Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I am very close to purchasing my first sled and have a few questions for you. It is a 1996 Polaris Storm 800 with 4200 miles. One owner, no mods except for the jet size. No reverse and no electric start. It has thumb and hand warmers. He is including 2 windshields (one smoked), cover, and some other misc stuff. He is asking $2800 Is this a good price?
Also my girlfriend likes to ride with me, so when we rent we get a touring sled. I heard I can buy some sort of back rest for this sled and ride two up on it. Anyone ever hear or see this? Have any picture of it? Part number? I also heard I would need to beef up the suspension. We are 300 pounds combinded weight. Thanks for your help. Please check out the pictures.

Ray

/polarisman/../images/users/grinch1989/P1010050-small.jpg
/polarisman/../images/users/grinch1989/P1010055-small.jpg

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Thats a disgustingly clean sled for a 96 and as for the price of 2800 that sounds like a good price to me.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
The sled is in great shape, IMO the price is a little high but not to bad, I would try to get it for 2500. You can certainly get a back rest for it. Just see the dealer or search the web. You may need heavier springs in the back but i would ride it first.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Very clean sled...can't comment on price cause I'm in Canada, eh.

My brother-in-law put a "Seat Jack"...
http://www.industriesjack.com/1enprod2a.htm
on his '99 Indy Trail, he also went up one size on his back suspension spring.
The seat works great in 2 up, but it's more tippy, and when riding alone the spring is too stiff, even on the lowest setting.

All I've ever heard about Storms is that they are heavy but fast in a straight line.

Welcome to TUSF...btw.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Wow, I can't believe how clean looking that is for a 96 sled. The owner must of taken good care of it. $2800 is in the ball park (maybe a tad high) especially considering how clean and well maintained it appears to be. It never hurts to always offer a little less than the asking price in any situation. Reasonable people usually come down a bit from their original asking price. $2500 sounds good to me.

They do make back rests you could put on. There is also an item called the Seat Jack. They are offered by most of the aftermarket catalogues. Here's a link to one site that describes the seat:

http://www.industriesjack.com/1enprod2a.htm

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
damn that is clean... iv allways loved the look of a polaris triple triple stuffed under the hood. looks liek a great buy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That price seems kind of high for a sled with 4,200 miles on it. I bought my 1996 with 900 miles on it for $2,000 and that was a year ago.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
That thing looks in great shape considering it has 4200 miles on it! How can he keep the engine compartment so clean!? He must have taken every part out and polished it. [:D]

·
Registered
366 Posts
you can put a 2up seat on it that's what i did to mine found a used one for 400.00 with backrest and foot plates. Just an idea?

Rich

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Richie Rich
[br]you can put a 2up seat on it that's what i did to mine found a used one for 400.00 with backrest and foot plates. Just an idea?

Rich
Thanks to everyone for all yours replies. I'm sure this is one of many questions I will have if I buy this sled (which is very likey). It seems this price is a little on the high side, but considering things like one adult owner and well mantained will yield a bit higher price.
So about 400 bucks for that seat jack? Now thats a lot of money for a seat [:0] but well worth it if i can ride two up on it! I know this will not be a cheap hobby, so this is a drop in the bucket. Now I just need to find a ramp to get this thing up on the back of a pickup truck. I know many guys back up to snow banks, but those are sometimes hard to find early in the season.
By the way...why does the first snow now seem so far away?? [V] I can't wait!

Thanks,
Ray

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
UH OH it sounds like we hooked another addict[:D]
If you think winter feels far away now, just wait till you pull the sled in for the last ride of the winter.[;)]

I think you found a good buy. As long as you dont go mod crazy and ride safe the sport isnt too expensive. Well worth every penny IMO. Here is a link showing how to build a ramp.

http://www.dalek.org/kshoe/sm_ramp6.html

Have Fun and Keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I believe that other guy was refering to an entirely different seat for $400. Meaning you could take your single seat off and install the two-up. The Seat Jack simply attaches to the rear of your sled with the single seat still on. I don't know the exact price, but I think its some where around $180-$200.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
$2800 is average retail on www.nadaguides.com. Average retail is what a dealer would charge for the sled. With 4200 miles I wouldn't pay more than $2200 for it,even considering how clean it is. I usually go by what people pay on Ebay for sleds this time of year and I don't think he would get any more than $2000 out of it if he put it up for auction on there. Sorry, just my honest opinion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Originally posted by grinch1989
[br]
Originally posted by Richie Rich
[br]you can put a 2up seat on it that's what i did to mine found a used one for 400.00 with backrest and foot plates. Just an idea?

Rich
Thanks to everyone for all yours replies. I'm sure this is one of many questions I will have if I buy this sled (which is very likey). It seems this price is a little on the high side, but considering things like one adult owner and well mantained will yield a bit higher price.
So about 400 bucks for that seat jack? Now thats a lot of money for a seat [:0] but well worth it if i can ride two up on it! I know this will not be a cheap hobby, so this is a drop in the bucket. Now I just need to find a ramp to get this thing up on the back of a pickup truck. I know many guys back up to snow banks, but those are sometimes hard to find early in the season.
By the way...why does the first snow now seem so far away?? [V] I can't wait!

Thanks,
Ray
I noticed that this is your first sled, and you probably don't have much mechanical experience with sleds. Since you have the triple pipes on it, you'll probably have to change the jetting in it every 10-15 degree weather change (celcius), unless it has a Tempa Flow or the ATACC.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by MacGyver
I noticed that this is your first sled, and you probably don't have much mechanical experience with sleds. Since you have the triple pipes on it, you'll probably have to change the jetting in it every 10-15 degree weather change (celcius), unless it has a Tempa Flow or the ATACC.
Well guys I bought the sled over the weekend and it is in better shape then the pics even show! According to the guy I bought it from he said the jets are right near where they need to be for New England riding. He states it will run rich when it warms up a bit. What is a Tempa Flow and ATACC and how do I know if I have it?
Is this a Gen II sled..the reason I ask is because I looked at the Polaris website to price out a reverse kit and they list it for Gen II and some others.?.? Next puchase is a helmet [:D] Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Ray

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by ACEXLT
[br]Your 1996 Storm is the "Evolved" body style.
Thanks...according to the polaris website, it seems reverse is not available for my sled. I guess it is possible they no longer list or carry that part seeing the sled is 7 years old. I guess i can check with a dealer.

Ray

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I am sorry, I was wrong-It is the "agresssive" body style.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did some more research and I think this is a Gen II sled with an "agresssive" body style...correct? Anyone have the part number for the reverse kit for this sled? Thanks [:D]

Ray

1 - 20 of 30 Posts