Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, Looking to sell my 89 indy trail.

Need something more powerful. But my question is, are the 96 Ultra 680 tripples any good? From what I hear they were decent. but I cant believe everything someone says, because of some totally horrible years that give tripples a bad name. I don't know how many miles are on the sled, I'm looking at it today. Its kinda rough, wants 550 for it. I would Appreciate your guys input on them. Thanks!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I Have a 93' Indy XLT Special, with 9000 miles on it and I have never opened the engine. Granted, it should have the top end freshened soon, but I think its all in the way you care for them.

I'm sure if you search for it, you can find a lot of info on here about the good/bad differences of triples.

Good luck!
Mike

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
The ultras were a great speed demon sled stock along with some clutching, but if you get a set of aftermarket triple pipes they then became even greater powerhouses on the lakes

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Don't buy that POS Ultras are nothing more than a head ache. At 550 dollars it's going to be a HUGE pita. Save your money and buy yourself a sled That starts no earlier than the year 2000.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
ultrawillie said:
Don't buy that POS Ultras are nothing more than a head ache. At 550 dollars it's going to be a HUGE pita. Save your money and buy yourself a sled That starts no earlier than the year 2000.
That is the first time I have heard negatives to the ultra. I am curious like what kind of problems have you experienced with your ultra if you do not mind me asking. Is yours piped cause I have a freind who just put pipes on his and from what he has told me they do become a pain in the ass to keep them jetted right and be trail reliable, is there in any truth to this.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Mad-Boondocker said:
ultrawillie said:
That is the first time I have heard negatives to the ultra. I am curious like what kind of problems have you experienced with your ultra if you do not mind me asking. Is yours piped cause I have a freind who just put pipes on his and from what he has told me they do become a pain in the ass to keep them jetted right and be trail reliable, is there in any truth to this.
My Ultra is piped (PSI), clutched, carbs tuned and the thing ROCKS. The point I was trying to make is unless your willing to dump a boat load of money into it, 89 indy 488 would be better saving the 550 plus the xtra 1000 he's going to put into it, to buy a sled that he can ride instead of riding the site asking a million questions on why this and why that.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I love the Ultra! I have a 1997 with 9000 ish miles on it. The only things I have had to do was the chain at 4000 miles, the o rings around 7000 miles and that's it except for regular maintenance of course. They are fast through the trails, reliable and stock hp is 105 - 110 depending on jetting. If you do buy it keep an eye on the water pump, I have been lucky but they are known to fail on this sled.

Cheers

·
Registered
110 Posts
I heard the triples burn the center jug....

Burch

·
Registered
448 Posts
ultrawillie said:
Mad-Boondocker said:
ultrawillie said:
My Ultra is piped (PSI), clutched, carbs tuned and the thing ROCKS. The point I was trying to make is unless your willing to dump a boat load of money into it, 89 indy 488 would be better saving the 550 plus the xtra 1000 he's going to put into it, to buy a sled that he can ride instead of riding the site asking a million questions on why this and why that.
That’s some rock solid advice!!!! I agree a 100%

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Burch said:
I heard the triples burn the center jug....

Burch
Uhh, no... You heard wrong.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I agree with everyone else, save your money and buy a nice low mile one, I have bought the old beaters and made them nice, its just not worth it, just start with a nice clean one. This weeks project sled for me is a 93 xlt with 11,000 miles on an untouched motor, I am so sick of hearing that triples eat pistons, burn the middle cylinder, crank bearings fail etc etc etc, I have never had a problem with any of the triples I have owned, I and I have beat on all them, maintain them good, and they will last forever. Here is what a 500 dollar polaris wedge is going to need, carb boots, fuel and oil lines, exhaust manifold gaskets, clutch side driveshaft bearing and speedo key, clutches aligned. This is just the tip of the iceberg if you want to make it reliable and run good. You are much better off saving up and buying a nicer one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ultrawillie said:
I went to look at it. It was a piece indeed. Like no coolant in the tank, Did a compression test. alittle less then 100psi in each cylinder :( Then I noticed it was leaking anti freeze by one of the heads, looked at the chaincase oil, Low and icky. So I definitely passed on it no doubt. But I didnt come home empty handed. Picked up a 93 XLT Parts sled for 50 bucks :) Now working on selling all the parts I got off it.

gto0209 said:
I agree with everyone else, save your money and buy a nice low mile one, I have bought the old beaters and made them nice, its just not worth it, just start with a nice clean one. This weeks project sled for me is a 93 xlt with 11,000 miles on an untouched motor, I am so sick of hearing that triples eat pistons, burn the middle cylinder, crank bearings fail etc etc etc, I have never had a problem with any of the triples I have owned, I and I have beat on all them, maintain them good, and they will last forever. Here is what a 500 dollar polaris wedge is going to need, carb boots, fuel and oil lines, exhaust manifold gaskets, clutch side driveshaft bearing and speedo key, clutches aligned. This is just the tip of the iceberg if you want to make it reliable and run good. You are much better off saving up and buying a nicer one.
Yup, The sled was apiece. Ill just stay away from tripples [confused2] Still looking for something faster, but must be reliable. Any idea what I should look for? I only want Polaris..

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Mad-Boondocker said:
An XC 600 or 700 would be a pretty good sled, they are pretty reliable and quick as well.
X2^^[thumb]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why would you say that ? Just wondering what problems you have had with the 680 as I owned one and never had a problem 🙂

1 - 17 of 17 Posts