Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[/font=Comic Sans MS]Hello everyone,
I just bought my first sled a 1996 polaris classic touring 500 cc liquid cooled. I noticed one problem the speedo is inop does anyone have any ideas on what I should check
thanks [:D]

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Hey there, welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase of the sled. I'd first check to make sure that the cable is connected to both the back of the speedo and also to the other end, under the secondary clutch, under the hood, in front of where you would put your left foot. If that is attached and it isn't working, take the cable off, make sure that it is still good, if it still doesn't work, then the speedo is either bad (unlikely) or the thing that runs the speedo and makes the 90 degree angle is bad or has stripped parts in it.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
to add what erick is saying, the Angle drive is what he is referring to that is on the end of the drive shaft under the secondary clutch. and as he has already said, check the cable and the speedo to make sure they are workin. Usually the most common problem is the "key" twists in two different peices. the key is what links the drive shaft to the angle drive. Basially it is a small peice of speedo cable, wich you really cant miss if you take the angle drive off of the sled. Usually the key will twist off if the angle drive seizes up or if the speedo cable takes too much effort to turn. Hope this helps

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Also check the driveshaft bearings for play. If you have a bad bearing it will shear the cable.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Last season I had to replace my speedo cable. The inside flexible wire broke. That may be your problem. I had to go to the dealer for a new cable. I think it was about $27.00.

·
Registered
777 Posts
what acexlt said:
i would bet the bearing is shot,and took out the little speedo extension

·
Registered
948 Posts
Alternatively if it is worse than just the cable ie the speedo head is broken too and you don't want to bother with repair, go out and buy a GPS unit. It will provide Groundspeed and be as accurate if not moreso than the factory speedo. Velcro to the hood or wherever handy and bob's yer uncle. (No relation to Bobinwi)

Cheers!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[/font=Comic Sans MS]Thanks for all the insite it was only the cable though broke of add 90 angle gear. I do have one oth question is there a way to adjust to clutch to take of sooner seems like revs go really high before sled starts to move
thanks again
ken[:D]

·
Registered
777 Posts
broke where,between the 90d and the shaft.=bad bearing,did you check the bearing.what is high rpm. ,binding pri bushings, flat rollers,if you just bought it,chance are theres a clutch kit in it,notched weights,to aggressive pri spring,???

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it broke at right inside ongear the end on the cabel fell out in my hand. rpms around 5000 to 6000 before it starts to move

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
If you look in the Primary (front of clutch) what color is the spring. Call the dealer and find out what color spring is stock for this sled.(someone on here probably knows too)If the primary spring is different this would show that there is probably a clutch kit in it. This would account for the high engagement. If the springs match then you probably need to pull the clutches off and check them out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[/font=Comic Sans MS Sorry it toke so long to make another post. I just speedo cable in last week will put in on monday and I will get the actual rpms when clutch engages thanks again[:p]

·
Registered
190 Posts
"Late engagement" can be from a number of factors...especialy since your probably not riding on snow this month.[:eek:)]

Check your belt first, a worn belt or too much belt deflection can show the these symptoms. It would also hurt top end perfomance. Did it come with an owners manual to check ?

Take the time with a "new" sled to review ALL adjustments. Grease the heck out of any fitting you can find.

·
Registered
608 Posts
First thing you'll want to do is inspect your primary clutch. Blow it out with compressed air or contact cleaner if needed. Take the cover off and look at all the bushings cams and rollers. take noitice of any excess play, and replace any damaged parts. If the cams are sloppy they can dig into the towers and that is bad. If you have any questions or doubts just ask or post a picture. We can help.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[/font=Comic Sans MS]Ok here we go, I got speedo cable in sled today and put all back together and ran sled, the speedo works[:D]. Now on to my other problem my clutch engagement, on the grass on flat land rpms hit 4000 and you can feel the belt start to catch and anywhere from 5000-6000 rpms sled will start to move.On a hill from a stop I hit 6500 before sled starting moving. The belt is brand new just put on today. You do get a burning odor from belt like it is sliping a lot. No signs of a clutch kit springs metal color not funky colors. Am I over thinking this could it be slow to move(high rpms) from riding on grass(friction) not on snow. Please give me some fed back I need some guidince. thanks Ken

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
wooooohoooo im an uncle. oh wait n/m. Anyways on to the clutch. what kind of belt did ya replace the old one with? i know on my cat i the torque stop on my sled came out of adjustment and caused my belt to burn up. so instead of killing another 50 dollar belt i bought a cheap belt and that one slipped like mad. even after readjusting my torque stop. we had this dicussion before on the quality of belts. anyways keep us informed

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Did you check that bearing to make sure it is good?? Otherwise you'll just snap it again in time
and you'll be looking at more costly problems.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Sounds to me like the clutches are dirty and not opening correctly. Your symptoms are very similar to a problem i had on my old 500. Took the clutches off cleaned them and all is good now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How did you clean them? With what.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Clean it all with scothbrite. Clean the clutch faces, take the weights out and clean them, clean the rollers, etc... You will either want to get the clutch tools or have a buddy help. When you take the primary clutch off you will need a clutch puller to pop it off the shaft. When you open up the primary loosen the bolts by alternating back and forth across the clutch, like you would when you tighten up a rim on a car. Loosen them slowly little by little until the spring tension is released. If you need more detailed info let us know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts