Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of buying a clutch kit for my sled and it is and epi pro performance clutch kit. I was wondering what was involved in it and if I needed to buy any new parts or anything that has to go on with the clutch kit.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Bought one for my son's 93 xlt and I had to buy a rebuild kit also because the clutch kit doesn't have all that is needed. Also, we got the trail kit and it was more than enough, IMO if we got the pro kit we would have had to pick the track.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I do have picks what did it do to the sled? Did it take off faster and go faster ect.? Thanks

·
Registered
571 Posts
Everything, it pulls better, better throttle response, engages at higher rpm- so it gives a better hole shot. It is my son's sled and he says it's just hard to describe. He says it's just better all around. We figured with it being stock and no picks we had less chance of being hard on other parts with the trail kit. And we ride trails- we don't race.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I aslo forgot to ask you if I needed to buy any clutch buttons. My brother just bought a new epi trail clutch kit but didn't install it yet. He has a 1997 ski-doo mxz 670 and he needed to buy buttons. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My brother is putting his clutch kit on today and he is having a little trouble and I ordered mine the other day and he says that there is a spider nut in the primary. Then is there any special tools i need because is it possible to get the helex out without a clutch compresser? thanks

·
Registered
571 Posts
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15782
There is another tech tip site on here somewhere that has step-by-step instructions with pics., but I can't locate it right now. Ask one of the mods in a PM

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the link that you had on there doesn't work can you try it again and do you remember what forum that has step by step directions and pictures. Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I got the helex out and spring and I am ready to put the new one in but how do I find out which hole to put the spring into the helex. I did get a piece of paper that tells me which hole i want to put it in but the helex doesn't have any numbers on it and the piece of paper says put it in hole 2 and I don't know which hole that is please help. Thanks

·
Registered
571 Posts
Look on the opposite side of the helix. It was opposite of stock. Here is the link... http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15782

·
Registered
571 Posts
Tell me if this works, it is in the helpful fix-it links...http://northerndestinations.com/tech/secondaryrepairs.html

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That clutch is finished but now onto the primary. Today I took it off my sled then took the spring out then I got 2 sets of weights in my kit. They are 10-A-L and the other is 10-A.The original weights that are in the sled are 10-A-L.Which ones do I put in? Then one of the bolts broke to get the weights out and it needs to be replaced with the others because of they are wore out. Where can I get these and please help because of a trip this weekend. Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do lighter weights make your sled engage faster or slower? Same with the heavier ones does it engage faster or slower? Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another questin I know that the belt is supposed to sit a little above the secondary. Mine doesn't so I was wondering to adjust it to make it sit above it. Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
the weights effect the top rpm.lighter weight more rpm,heavier weights less rpm.the engagement rpm is set by the stiffness of the primary spring.heavier spring,higher engagement,lighter spring early engagement.the belt height adjustment is done by turning the sheave adjuster on the secondary clutch.you will see numbers around the secondary clutch mounting bolt.loosen the three bolts and turn the plate. #1 for tight #5 for loose.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts