Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bout a 1996 Polaris XCR 600. Does Anybody have any thoughts, tips, or anything for me? Are these good sleds? This seems to be pretty fast.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
is it the XCR or the SP? both are good sleds, SP is reed inducted, and the regular XCR used the XLT motor (watch for crank problems) lots of info on both sleds available, use the search! have fun!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
they were all triples, does it look like a big tub? or like a wedge in the front? if it was an SP it would say XCR SP on the side, and it would be really heavy...also, the regular XCRs were White, the SPs were Black...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have one, and its damn near bullet proof. exceleent suspension set up, xtra 10 rear, 8 inch fox front. Pulls out of the hole, and keeps pulling. make sure you do regular maintenance, and it will be trouble free. The xcr block is all in one, which is the "mono block" and the SP is 3 cylinders, each of themselves. The only real mod needed is to tear off the stock track, and set a nice 1.25 camoplast ripsaw on it. Some nice plastic skis, they really make it glide, it already has 38 mm carbs, and the more you are into them, the more the gas man loves ya. You are really very vague as to what you are asking about though. Welcome to the site,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, its not an SP.. Just a plain XCR.. Wedge Suspension.. I plan on posting some pics today hopefully. It has plastic ski covers already. i'm pretty sure it has a new track on it, that is studded. The person i bought it from said the whole suspension has been redone (so its about 50 lbs lighter). I believe it sits lower than normal. It pulls hard out the hole even with my (almost) 300 lbs. on it. It's so much lighter than other sleds I have rode and not as tipsy feeling.. And it will catch some air without even really trying

p.s. thanks to all of u responding.. It is much appreciated..

·
Registered
291 Posts
i had one...they are very flat cornering sleds...alot of them were known for a low rpm bog right off the start mine had it to(not sure what the fix was for that problem) mine had 96 studs and would pull pretty strong until 75mph or so...i was only able to get about 95-100mph(speedo reading)out of the sled on the river...but i never played with the clutching besides puting a almond square primary spring in...my crank bearing went out on the PTO side replaced it and put another 2000+ miles on it before i sold it with no problems...i also had to replace 2 pistons but that was more or less my fault....overall a pretty fun sled

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Dam thats real clean. How many miles does it have on it? It's a real fun sled to ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it has about 4800 miles in it.. i got the sled and a 2 place trailer for $1400... Hope i didnt get ripped off! lol ...

·
Registered
291 Posts
looks real clean...do a quick check and turn the primary clutch by hand and listen for any squeaks or sticky spots...also grab ahold of it and try moving it up and down excesive play is a sign of a bad crank bearing

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
great deal. Just a point about your gas tank, when you're done riding, turn your gas valve off. At least with the xcr's my dad has and my friends have the gas floods into the crabs for some reason and it's a bi*ch to start. Im not sure why it does it but I think it's got something to do with the seat.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Originally posted by FireCat59
[br]great deal. Just a point about your gas tank, when you're done riding, turn your gas valve off. At least with the xcr's my dad has and my friends have the gas floods into the crabs for some reason and it's a bi*ch to start. Im not sure why it does it but I think it's got something to do with the seat.
never had any trouble with mine doing that...after sitting all night it would start right up on 2-3 pulls...starting hot i'd just have to crack the throttle while pulling 1-2 pulls and it was running...never had to shut the gas valve off

·
Registered
690 Posts
nice sled, they are quick, do a little clutch work and it will wake it up even more, if you feel like spending the money, put some triple pipes on there and that b!tch will fly

·
Registered
690 Posts
Originally posted by polaris09
[br]
Originally posted by tison1200
[br]
Originally posted by FireCat59
[br]great deal. Just a point about your gas tank, when you're done riding, turn your gas valve off. At least with the xcr's my dad has and my friends have the gas floods into the crabs for some reason and it's a bi*ch to start. Im not sure why it does it but I think it's got something to do with the seat.
never had any trouble with mine doing that...after sitting all night it would start right up on 2-3 pulls...starting hot i'd just have to crack the throttle while pulling 1-2 pulls and it was running...never had to shut the gas valve off
I have a 95 xcr 600 and my mom has a 96 xcr 600 and we have to shut the gas off in both of them or else they were flooded bad, if i were you i would definitely turn the gas off if you are going to let it sit for a 1/2 hour or more

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Yea, glad to see someone else have the same problem, lol. I thought something was just wrong with mine. I don't know what causes it though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the exact same sled and exact same problem (flooding when it sits for more than a few minutes). Just figured out I have to shut the gas off when stopping for any time and that problem is solved. Regarding that though, does it really have anything to do w/ the particular sled - what I mean is doesn't the flooding problem when it sits just mean the carbs need new seats?

I just put an EPI clutch kit on it and put my first ~100 miles on w/ the new clutching.

I love the sled (and the fact it runs w/ new $5-7000 machines).

Good deal to get it and the trailer for that price.

Always use a good quality oil and don't let the motor turn over 8500-8700 rpms. Always let it warm up before getting on it and it should last.

Unfortunately you should run it on high test.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts