Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 indy rxl which won't run properly. It doesn't start and run very well. The engine seems to flood and stall and I can not get it running unless I let it sit for a day. If I do get it running and try to rev it up the engine bogs down with no power. I know the drive belt seems loose and that needs to be tightened. I am getting an error code of 21 which indicates a "Mag side injector" problem. When I test all the injectors by grounding their respective wire coming from the ecu wiring harness i get a "click" from all the injectors except this one. I am not sure where to go from here. I assume this is likely a wiring issue. What would be the next place to check?
Carl

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Sounds like the injector itself has failed..

With the key off, pull all the plugs and pull the engine over several times to clean it out.

Then swap the mag and center injector plugs, start it, and see if the problem follows the wiring. (you'll probably have to cut a couple tie-wraps)

If the code changes to 2-2, then the problem is the injector.

If it stays 2-1 then it's either the ECU or the wiring. Grab the 96-98 polaris service manual from the thread where I posted it, and follow the wiring on the schematic to test the wiring for damage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How difficult is it to pull the injector plugs and swap them? I have looked at my downloaded manual and there is not much of a description. I was thinking of swapping the electrical leads around to see if this clears up the problem on that injector, but I can't figure out how to release them without forcing them off. There seems to be some kind of a clip, but i don't know how to release it.
Carl

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
They just unplug, no clips..

Grab a hold of the plastic connector, rock it back and forth and pull.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed the plugs around and the injector that wasn't firing now does. So that means it is in the wiring or the computer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to check the dropping resistor as well, but the manual says it is on the engine side of the battery box. Well it isn't. I am not 100% sure of what I am looking for, but I think i see it bolted to the engine floor just behind the steering cross member on the right side. Do I pull the wiring plug off or unbolt the whole thing?
Carl

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
The dropping resistor is brushed aluminum, and located by the front motor mount on the recoil side of the motor.

I reread your post and the voltage is not reaching the ECU (so it's not the ECU), it sounds like the issue is in the wiring, most likely corroded and/or broken at the resistor connector.

Disconnect it (the wiring harness plugs in underneath the motor so it'll probably be easiest to unbolt the resistor to access it) and look for voltage coming from the injector. If you have voltage coming from that injector, then it is the wire from the resistor to the ECU.

The real EFI expert here corrected my theory on powering, so rereading the post made sense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was the dropping resistor. I got a reading of 6.6 on all 4 terminals but one. The one that didn't read matches up with one of the injectors (couldn't tell which injector wire as it was too far under the engine). Now I need to find a dropping resistor somewhere. Thanks for your help.
Carl

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLARIS-DROPPING-RESISTOR-3084617-1995-RXL-INDY-650-EFI-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem587fd4c2c8QQitemZ380101771976QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

1 - 10 of 10 Posts