Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should be the top speed of a 1996 Skidoo Skandic 500 air cooled with plastic ski boots over the metal ones? I don't have a tach attached so I'm not sure what the rpms should be? Any thoughts??

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is it a 15" by 136" track. They made a couple of models. I have a 96 Touring SLE which is basicaly a bottom end skandic with elec start rev and no hitch. When new I could get 70 consistently. After some fine tuning I can get it up to 80 on an ice covered road. My 20 year old son says he can get it to 85.

Fine tuning was only done because the Indy Trail Touring I bought my wife in 97 could beat my SLE all the time. Tuning only consisted of good belt adjusted as tight as was resonably possible, primary spring for a 500 liquid, secondary spring wrap lessened, and TRA weights adjusted to the maximum shift. (had to make up for that much heavier primary spring)

·
Registered
268 Posts
On an air/fan cooled, the rpm's at full throttle on a 500 should go no higher than 6500-7000, if that. The ski-skins won't do much, but I've been at 75 and had a sled w/ the same engine keep up. But do note, at speeds above 55 mph, the tach can be off as much as 10%.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kevin, Paulxlt, it is a 15" track and I don't have a tach attached to know the max rpm. I will try a new belt and report out on the performance. I have cleaned the carbs and new plugs with no impact. Thanks for the posts...[^]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts