Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so we finally got some snow and i took the ultra out for a test ride since i jsut bought it and havent tried it yet. it runs good and pulls nice for a stock machine, but it shifts out at over 9,000rpm. i have 10 AL weights in the clutch which are 53 grams. they are heavier than the stock 10's. the primary spring is a silver i believe, the secondary has a red spring and 36 helix. the belt is new. i want to know why it is over revving. thnx.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
stock primary spring is dark blue. Not sure if silver is higher or lower, but I'm guessing higher since its over reving. Your helix is stock, not sure about its spring.

·
Registered
666 Posts
mine runs around around 9200 i think, but mines not exactly stock either.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a blue one i could put in but its stiffer. it wouldnt do me any good. my sled is all stock, but the pipes are in the mail so in a few weeks, it wont be stock. i just wantd to know why it was over revving.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
It could be geared down too. Take a sharpie marker and make a line up the face of one of the primary sheeves. Go ride it and see how far out its shifting.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
'96 ultra came with a gold primary and your secondary spring and helix are stock. '97-98 came with the dark blue. You should be peaking with the single pipe at 8200 rpm. Any higher isn't making any more power. Most likely less. Here's a good place to look up stock parts and numbers. http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
My friend is fighting the exact same problem you are with his 96 rmk. It has slp pipes on it but no other mods. He has 10AL's, blue spring, red secondary with a 36 degree helix and he tops out consistantly at 90.5 to 90.8 on the gps with an overrev to 9000 that puts the machine on it's face. The only thing we haven't tried is regearing. He has 21/39 in the case but the pipe instructions say to go for a 37 or 35 bottom sprocket. We haven't been able to try the regear since he did a big ooops on his rolled case kit. I'd suggest looking at the gearing and possibly raising the ratio since it sounds like you are over powering the gears and falling out of the power band. Good luck!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, thanks guys. what if i jsut increased my weight size, like move up to a 56 gram weight?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts