Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I bought my 1st Ultra in 1997 with 600 miles on there, an SP, 144 studs, Hot Seat clutch kit, it was pretty quick, at 1800 miles I piped it with Aaens and slapped on SLP Ultra Lite skiis, HUGE difference! Handled 10x better with the skiis, and pipes were fast. I melted part of a piston down at about 4k miles after I was running WOT on a warm day on Lake Bemidji, after it cooled down it fired up, I continued to ride it w/o problems even though the piston was bad, but it didn't seem to affect anything. At about 5k miles I sank it in Yellow Lake Wisconsin, dried it all out and continued to ride it for another couple years, at 10k miles the water pump failed, and cacked a couple heads. So I sold it for $800 and bought a SKS with 3k miles which I put another 5k miles on before I popped a piston due to soapy water after bringing to the car wash due to oil caddy failure....

The only thing I would change with the SP would be:
-Plastic skiis
-Upgrade to Xtra-10 Fox in the front.

Nice sleds!

-Skip

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Yes. Properly setup you'll be turning about 148hp.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I would trade, the motor is more bullet proof, and the Xtra-12 on the XLT is NOT a good ditch banger jumpin suspension! You'll be happy with the Ultra, especially if you Xtra-10 the front!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Ultras are Awesome sleds. and if it was me i would trade in a heartbeat but........
there suspension isn't the best for jumping. swap in an m10 skid and xtra 10 front and it would be ok. not trying to talk anybody out of an ultra, like i said my favorite sled of all time, thats why i own 4.

·
Registered
414 Posts
just like everyone else said...awesome sled especially with pipes and the proper clutching. I have had two in my day and i will not sell the one i currently own. I would also trade the xlt for the ultra in a second! I had an xcr with the extra light motor...nice but nothing like the case reed motor.

·
Registered
251 Posts
All hail the ULTRA, I consider that motor the prize jewel of the sled, coupled with the 2nd best suspension Polaris ever built. Awesome, especially when you compare it to the new sleds, and it's 10 years old.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I would go for it. the ultras rip. either that or an XC 700 is going to be my next sled

·
Registered
666 Posts
A piped ultra is kinda like a cuda with a 440 six pack. It WILL roast 99% of todays sleds, and its probable the best sounding triple ever created by man, god and any other spiritual being.

·
Registered
666 Posts
yeah the xcr 800 is kinda like a F14 fighter jet... i will say however, i ride with two 2001 800 XCR's - both stock - and i whoop them every we line up. The only time i get beat by them is around 120mph, or when my speedo is pinned, they start to pull away.

·
Registered
666 Posts
the XCRs is stock accept for studs, where as im just a tad bit on the modded side...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.