Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have no brakes any more, i was out riding one day, and it was fine the whole day then all of the sudden i went to brake and i had no pressure on my brake lever. ahhh scary, anyways. i still had some brakes for the rest of the day, so i came home, looked and my brake fluid was low so i put fluid in, pumped the lever and i could here it squirting out somewhere, so i checked it and right above my brake pads there is a round piece with 2 wires coming out of it, the fluid is coming right out of where the wires are plugged in. the sled is a 1996 xcr 440, anyone know what this part is, or what the problem is? thanks for the help

·
Registered
137 Posts
What???? You need to write a clearer post. What is the problem, what were you doing when it happened, what year make and model sled? and be courteous and make it easy for someone to help you, use punctuation.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thank you clarifying that... That is the break light sensor, you can get it from any Polaris dealer, usually around $45 bucks. it just screws in, but you will have to bleed the breaks again after you put it in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks alot man, is this for surely 100% the problem? and can i just fix the one i have? i just got off the phone with polaris the part is 89.99

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
my sled had the same problem if you use pipe tape like plumbers use it fixes the leak here is an example this is the exact kind i used

http://underbid.com/action/display/item/1058211299/sku/698555.html

·
Registered
137 Posts
^^^ That is just Teflon tape, you can get it at any hardware store... and if the sensor is leaking around the threads, then yes, remove the sensor, put a little Teflon tape around the threads and screw the sensor back on. if it is leaking at the terminals, then you will need to replace the sensor, it is destroyed. The breaking system in these sleds is about 1000psi, once the sensor pops, its shot. Check around on the sensor, I just bought 2 of them from my dealership for 40 something a each.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya, i just checked and its leaking out of the terminals, not around the threads, umm, how do these unplug? they dont just pull out. thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
They pull out sideways... the direction the wires come out of the plug.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so i have the new part put on, wires hooked up, no pressure, meaning i have to bleed the brakes, can someone please let me know how to do this?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Fill the reservoir, pump the lever, and while holding the lever, open the bleed screw. Tighten the bleed screw, pump it up and repeat... Do this until there is no air coming out of the bleed screw and the lever feels good and tight. Be careful to not allow the reservoir run out of fluid.

The key to this, is to NOT let go of the lever until AFTER you tighten the bleed screw, otherwise you will just suck air back into the system.

·
Registered
137 Posts
on the top... it looks like a flared bolt with a hole down the center. I think its a 10mm. BTW, use a wrench, not a socket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts