Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i,m in the process of dropping a 1999 800 xcr motor into my 1996 xlt. wiring looks to be no problem once i get the cdi box. pipes, i have aset of pipes of a 2000 xcr and the carbs lined up, not 100% sure how the pipes will fit, the torque stop plate needs to be shifted around a bit but should work. i've got the motor sitting in the sled on the xlt 600 straps the motor is about 1/2 inch out favoring the clutch side from lining up with the secondary compared to the original 600 motor. not sure if the secondary can be shimmed that much or i will just drill new holes in the straps to compensate for the 1/2 inch or differnt straps will work better for me. i heard straps off a 680 ultra will work, not sure though. the bolt for the primary clutch is bigger on the 800 motor though. might have to find a primary and the bolt of 800. i will figure the rest of the clutching and gearing out once i get it running. any ideas on this project, let me know thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Are you using an alignment tool for the clutch? Did a xcr swap in an ultra and had to shim the secondary out 1/8" I used the xcr primary and secondary. Are you using the xcr wiring harness and cdi ?Didn't have problems with torque stop with mine. Used the xcr airbox with mine as well lined up nice.I wouldn't drill those straps that motor is hard enough on them without drilling extra holes.Pipes are very tight couldn't use the stock can on mine had to go with sno-stuff can.Don't know if the xlt and ultra are the same mounts or not might want to check with the dealer. The clutch side carb should be running tight to the torque stop.Are you using the xcr thermostat housing?I believe the xcr and xlt have different width belts so if you use a xcr primary the xlt secondary will have to be shimmed out ctr to ctr should be 12".

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
you will want an torque strap that goes from the pto front of the motor to the bulk head. and a rubber stopper that pushes against the rear of the pto side of the motor. I would get heavier motor straps. the stock ones are a lot thicker than the xlt ones. also you have to check motor tilt and carb clearance with the front of the tunnel.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Does your XLT have the xtra-12 suspension? If so your motor will be at the wrong angle with the XLT straps causing clearance problems with the carbs and more. I did a bit of re-inventing the wheel with the xlt madness.(xtra-12)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes it is an xtra 12 xlt. i've decided to get some steel straps fabbed up.is this angle problem going to cause a lot of grief, or just as little. i think i can correct the problem with fabbed up mounts. i,m still collecting parts for this project. thank you for the input

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
On the engine angle, just set it up so your carbs are level for correct operation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think i can handle the engine angle problem. the stock torque plate on this sled was located on the side of the bulkhead and held against the motor itself, which i think is a far better place for it than against one of the motor straps like i've seen on other models. when i had the motor sitting in the sled the torque stop was basically resting on the two oil lines that are there and it looks like were the original torque stop was making contact with the 800 motor is actually lower down on the block so i will just try to lower the torque stop enough to work for me. as for the front torque plate, is this something that is already out there or i need to fab one up?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts