Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at buying a new skidoo. I really need one for next year because all i have right now is a 1979 Skidoo Everest 440.[xx(], anyways, i just want to know of any past experiences that you guys have had with a 1996 Arctic Cat ZR580 EFI. I hear it is a really fast sled, and it is definatly in my price range.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
ok, u said at beginning of post u wanted at new skidoo, then ask bout a 96 ZR?? well ive always been a fan of EFI, although some will say it is bad, i like it, that year isnt batteryless yet tho. i see afew of em around so they must be aight sleds

·
Registered
749 Posts
Well let me start off by saying that the zr 580 EFI is a major gas gussler. They get about 9-11 miles to a gallon, usually 10mpg. They have 95 horespower which was all good in there time. There handling is awesome for the year too, heck its even good for now. Those sleds were way ahead of there time. They will beat most brand new 500's and beat newer 600's. They will go about 95-100mph in most conditions but in good to perfect conditions they will go 100-105. With studs it should be a good sled. I think its a good choice overall but if i were you i would look for a 94 to 95 zr 700. They were wiicked, my girlfriends dad just sold his. You can buy theme for the same as a 580. And they were twice the sled. 121hp. they were about 6-8 years ahead of there time in performance. They will go a true 107 mph but show about 120, or something like that, good luck.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
my cousin has the sled....its a new riding sled...i just got rid of my 1997 for a newer sled....they can hang with a 600 easy...well atleast mine could....i think 97 was the year that they jacked up the suspension higher not totally sure so dont quote me on that....but overall they are clean good riding sleds and i already miss having mine around

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
i have a 95 zr 580 carb. Awesome sled all around. killer acceleration and smooth ride. if you do pick it up i suggest a black magic heart throb clutch kit. it helps bottom end out ALOT.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
initial post asked for information on new ski-doo's, i think an 04 summit would slide into that catagory.........

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by sledhead_7c
[br]...all i have right now is a 1979 Skidoo Everest 440.[xx(]
thats what my younger brother drives. except its a 340.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Bobwinwi what was the dergres on the helix for the 580 and what rpm does it kick in

·
Registered
975 Posts
The 95 ZR 580 is a FAST sled. I have a 1995 XLT (last years sled) and my buddy rode a 1995 ZR 580, Man..... He could spank mine sometimes. Caught me off guard and I respected the power of his. (EFI) Those ZR's are a good workin sled. Like I said, buddy earned my respect with his. Enjoy[:D] Hope this kinda gives ya little insight on the sled. That's what this forum is about[8D]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts