Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of someone that knows how to press sleeves in and out. I horse traded for a 96 ZRT with some go fast things on it...tried to start it and found coolant blowing out the exhaust...pulled the heads and noticed all the sleeves had dropped. They are .028, .035, .025 too low...I do not have a shop, and my last hope got a better paying job in New Jersey!!! No one wants to tackle it and I dont know why. I had a thought of trying to try it myself...since they put cast iron sleeves in an aluminum case...maybe I could heat the whole thing in an oven, the aluminum will expand faster than the cast...moving quickly I could take out the sleeve, slather it with sleeve retainer and reassemble. Sounds so easy[thumb]...any advice would be nice. If i cannot fix it, I will sell off the parts and get something else, or put it back to stock (but what fun is that!!)

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I would see if there's any service that you could send them into to get them done. It's not as simple as just putting them in, you have to make sure the all the ports are 100% lined up and they are in 100% corrrectly. That's my understanding anyways, I would wait for someone else to chime in on this.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I'm not positive on small engines, but on bigger stuff we use a press to pull them out and to put them back in liquid nitrogen the sleeves, and heat the cyl, they slide right in. Make sure they are in right and use a torch to heat the the sleeve so it expands and locks in.

I don't remember ever seeing anybody get sleeves out and re-use them tho, I've never paid attention to if they are damaged by the press.

·
Registered
140 Posts
go to Kustom-kraft.com they specialize in this and have a warranty on their work. they are in Glenwood Springs, Colorado

·
Registered
129 Posts
Those numbers seem pretty miniscule to me. I don't see the problem. It's not causing your coolant leak. Your coolant leak is caused by poor head gaskets (rubber "O" rings), leaking base gaskets or a waterpump with bad seals. I would just disassemble the complete engine and wash it in diesel fuel, check everything for damage due to antifreeze ingestion. Then install a new full gasket kit and water pump rebuild kit in it when assembling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts