Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1997 700 engine in an 08 dragon. Will it fit?

8K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  2011RMK700 
#1 ·
So I have an opportunity to get a steal on a 08 Dragon with a blown motor. I know they are pretty expensive to fix so I was wondering, would the 97 rmk 700 motor I have sitting around fit in it with out Too many crazy modifications? Has anyone done this before or thought about it. Let me know your thoughts.

#3 ·
I am doing this swap right now! I have a 2008 Dragon RMK 700 that grenaded a piston out the bottom of the crankcase beyond repair. Although the 700 CFI engine puts out close to 140 hp in the stock form and is viewed as pretty dependable, it does have some issues with pistons every few 1,000 - 1,500 miles. In looking at options to either rebuild or replace the 700 CFI engine, I choose to go with a 700 Big Block out of a 1997 RMK that has 220 cylinders. I did a lot of checking around and everyone says to use Brad's engine plate and they are right. Brad's engine plate is awesome, looks great and fits like a glove. Also Brad makes a slug that goes where the CFI electric fuel pump goes in the tank. You can make your own but Brad's slug is cheap, fits well and is a simple one minute install. As far as the fuel tank goes you will need to drill the tank and install a fuel line set up for a carbed sled. That install is pretty straightforward so you will need to look around and go with the route you like the best. Another option is to find a tank off a 2006/2007 600 RMK that is carbed and it would be as easy as just swapping tanks. As far as exhaust goes you can cut and chop up a bunch of pipes to fit under the hood but you will be guessing if the engine is able to perform as it should or even live. That is why I went with a custom single pipe from CPI matched to my engine specs, the engine placement in the chassis and to fit the HPS can that was on my 700 CFI. With the wiring you will need to gut the Dragon wiring & electronic to replace it with the wiring that came out of the donor engine sled. On my project I am installing PERC so I am going with the wiring harness, electronics and CDI out of a 2004 RMK 700. Another key area you need to decide on is do you want to run oil injection or premix? If you want oil injection you will need to clearance the bulkhead on the right side since the oil pump will not clear. You also need to rework your engine torque stops which all depends on the placement of the engine if you make your engine plate or use Brad's. There are other key things that you will need to decide on as well such as if you are going to run an air box or use pods, where you mount your fuel pump, CDI, coils, routing your coolant hoses, which expansion bottle you will be using, oil bottle, and so on. The first thing you should do is figure out which route you are going in mounting the engine because everything builds off of that. Once that is secured then take it one step at a time and post any questions you have. I have either most-likely faced the same challenge and figured it out or soon will be and we can tackle it together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.