Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a problem with my sled. down at my place it runs great then after about an hour of riding it bogs to hell and i have to find the sweet spot to get my powerband then its all right until i let off the throttle. im pretty sure its jetting but i dont know much about polaris because i work at a yamaha dealership haha. but hwo would i go about making sure it is my jetting then fixing it. any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
It might help to jet down a size or two, you are usually safe to lean a size or two from stock. I had a 99 Trail that was real doggy until the temp got down to around 0 degrees F or so. You might also check the primary spring, it could be getting weak....

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yep, these sleds are set up HORRIBLY from the factory. I know, I have one. If your talking a elevation change then that would be effecting it too. When I got my sled it was bone stock, and I HATED it, IMHO its sleds like the indy trail that give fans thier bad reputation as boggers. They have weak clutch springs from the factory, and the gearing is absolutly rediculous for a fan (21-39). I have mine set up pretty good now, to where I am finally really happy with it, all it took was some different springs in both clutches and a new gear set (19-40) and it performs REALLY well now for what it is. I would deffinitly look into these mods if you are unhappy with the performance, well worth the investment.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha yeah i geared it already and took it out for a ride today halls ass. i went to 39/16 and the top end is still there, so i should do the clutches you think. i was considering it. then drop a size on my jets. becazsue its also a longer track with 2" lugs so i had to gear it down but yeah i think ill look into clutching it. what will it do really?

·
Registered
725 Posts
^^ Yep, thats deffinitly good gearing for it. Now you can play around with the clutches, start out by puting a stiffer spring in the primary (polaris Blue spring, or I have an EPI orange spring in mine) what that will do is raise up your engagement RPM, right now your sled probly engages at around 3500, thats what mine engaged at stock, now mine engages at 4300. It is a HUGE improvement just to do springs, because you are starting out higher in the powerband. With that gearing and if you get it engaging higher it will be like a little rocket off the line [;)] then you can mess around with traction, a bigger lug track like you said will help lots, or studs, and also you can set up your rear skid for more wieght transfer which will pick up your skis easier and let more of the power be transmitted to the ground. Its always fun to mess around with the little stuff that makes such a difference!!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
The thing with jetting is that your main jet doesn't kick in until 3/4 throttle so if your good there I would leave the main jet make sure your clutches are clean all dust is wiped away and sheen on sleaves should be scrubbed with scotch brite so belt grabs.like others have said cluching is the most important.You can have all the horsepower in the world but if it's not to the ground it's just not doing you any good.just my .02 cents

1 - 6 of 6 Posts