Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 1997 Indy XLT 600 SP won't idled(stalls) after its warmed up, seems to idle too low. It runs fine, can I increase the idle a little? And how do I increase the idle?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks

He who loves not his country can love nothing

·
Registered
948 Posts
Sure that's an easy thing to try. I run mine at about 1800RPM on idle. Not sure what your stock idle is on that year.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I hope you've cleaned your carbs before changing anything in case they're dirty. It would cause a low idle too..... Just a thought. Jetting could be too rich as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If it ran fine before, I would look elseware for a problem. Could be a cable not letting the throttle return. Or a carb problem.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
easiest way to reset the idle so that all the cylinders are equal is to place a 1/16 inch drill bit in each carb, under the slide, then adjust until the slide is just barely holding them in place, or open the throttle and see if all the bits fall at the same time, also the big phillips head screw on the side of your carbs is what you adjust, turn in for more idle, out for less,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try drainin' the carb bowls.
Had the same problem with mine this year! When it's cold the idle is up around 2100 rpm, once warm it would drop to about 1200, then stall, unless I was on the throttle.. I change the fuel in the tank and drained the bowls. no problem now, runs good every time I fire it up, waitin' for snow!!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
The only solution is to check the fuel lines or the fuel pump itself. Another thing to check is your carburetion. But dont over jet, if you do you will burn the middle cylinder. My 95 XLT idles at/around 1850.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ride Snowmobiles, baseball, bowling, and golf require only ONE ball!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts