Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Polaris Indy 440 L/C

Opinions? Feedback?

I currently own this sled with 1300 miles. Enjoy riding it, engine seems to run good, but I keep running into a "boggin problem" - Im not going to bother explaining it, its at the shop now. But my concern is, my buddy told me I should sell it and find something else, because these sleds are prone to problems.

I would love a newer and bigger ski doo, but money is sort of an option and I have only put a few hundred miles on this sled since I got it (hasn't run right for a long period of time since)

So, if I get it fixed, what to do? This problem seems to keep coming back, no idea what's wrong with it.. but I dont know if its a waste of time and money to keep the sled or not.

Thanks In advance

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
your buddy is on crack. A good dependable 440. Just as good as the Indy 500. Will run for a long time. Should be great on fuel also.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Very dependable sleds, my brother has a 97 XC 440, 3200 miles and nothing ever touched.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Those fugi motors are bullet proof. I beat the crap outa my 400, 500 and now xc440 and they just keep going. At 3400 miles now I have one driveshaft bearing going and and thats the first thing that really had to be replaced on it...besides the normal routine stuff.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I agree with everyone else on this subject the 440 liquids are a very dependable sled.I have saw alot of them with 10000 plus miles on them with just routine maintnance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks - guess I'll keep the sled as long as the problem goes away.

In that case, here's the problem! [:X]

Driving along on packed snow, usually fine.

Seems that if I go in deep powder, It will bog down and will not rev up. When this happens, you can give it full throttle, it wont turn very many RPMs and it will just go "BUHHHHHH" ( like my technical explanations? [:D] )

The engine and carbs have been looked at, and many people along with myself think its in the clutches - I have a friend that has a 1991 Yamaha Exciter II 570 with what seems to be the same problem - the shop he took his to said the bushings in the clutches were heating up and causing the clutch to not expand/contract correctly; thus locking up. He's getting those bushings replaced - could this be my problem? If not, WHAT? 2 different shops can't fix it ... and this sled is useless as of now.

So, any tips are apprecaited! Thanks again guys. [:eek:)] -

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
I had a 1994 Indy 440, I sold it with 8500 miles on it and I had never touched anything on it (except suspension rails, only reason I got rid of it is cuz I upgraded to an XCR which could handle my somewhat rough riding style)

Excellent engines. My buddy's dad has a 1995 Indy 440 with 14,000 or so miles on it. Rebuilt the engine at 10,500 miles. Other than that hasn't changed anything either, except for clutch bushings and buttons and rollers.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Originally posted by Jay487
[br]Seems that if I go in deep powder, It will bog down and will not rev up. When this happens, you can give it full throttle, it wont turn very many RPMs and it will just go "BUHHHHHH" ( like my technical explanations? [:D] )
Gee that sounds strangeley familiar...unfortunately. About a month ago mine would do the exact same thing when I went pounding through those tempting drifts and deep stuff. Whenever I had snow getting through the vents mine would run like it fouled a plug and if I pulled out back to the hardpack it'd clear it self out within a few minutes. I thought I was somehow sucking snow into the carb making them ice then the heat from the motor would thaw it. I Replaced the rubber airbox boot ring with ones from a 98xcr440 and that helped alot. Also replaced the spark plug boots with new ones...but it still occassionally acts up and I think its water getting into the wires on the cdi box side. Mine was fine 99% of the time on the trails, unless I was right behind someone sucking lots of snow dust.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with Sno-X-treme. I have the same problems with mine in deep powder. I think it has something to do with snow melting and getting into the electrical side of things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have two Polaris Indy 440s. They both are doing the exact bogging issue as listed above in the initial post... great explanation by the way, spot on. My bogging issues do not have anything to do with snow in vents.

My parents bought the first one new and I drove that through my teenage years and beat it to death and it went forever tons of miles on it. Even took it to Montana did great in the mountains and when I brought it home the bogging started. Since then over the last 10 years only one person/company out of MANY has been able to fix the issue for it to go away only to eventually come back the following year.

Because I love the sled so much we tried to buy another one with many less miles only to find it had the same problem when it warms up enough. If anybody has discovered how to resolve the issue please advise, I now have two sleds that don't work. Thanks so much!

The clutch sounds interesting to me. Has anyone else tried this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts