Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1997 Polaris Super Sport

17K views 42 replies 8 participants last post by  95FormulaSS 
#1 ·
I found this on Craigslist today and went and got it. $450 bucks. Yes, it was for sale here in NC. It needs a tail light and the engine isn't producing spark. It's straight and clean. It's been in storage for 5 years. The guy said he brought it to a Polaris dealer here and they think it needs a coil.

It's a 97 Super Sport 488 fan. It has 2800 miles on the odometer. I can't have 3 sleds, so my buddy in Mass wants it. It kind of looks like a chick sled.

See less See more
#3 ·
Almost. It has some very small cracks in the hood and the tail light housing is broken. The paint and decals are still shiny. All the factory stickers are there and not torn. The engine bay needs a quick pressure wash, but it's all complete. The track is plyable, not dry rotted and has a ton of life left in it. The only luxury is handwarmers.

#5 ·
If you mean the hood, I think it's cause the hood wasn't sitting in the little grooves. It's not dented.

Are these engines any good? Does the ignition system use points? I'm trying to brain storm why it doesn't have spark.

#6 ·
95FormulaSS said:
If you mean the hood, I think it's cause the hood wasn't sitting in the little grooves. It's not dented.

Are these engines any good? Does the ignition system use points? I'm trying to brain storm why it doesn't have spark.
The early 90s 488s are suppose to be "bulletproof" I dont know why it wouldn't have spark....did you try new plugs?

#7 ·
I haven't touched it yet. I'm painting inside the house right now. I'll tinker with it later this weekend after I get a bunch of house work done.

#8 ·
Well for starters that sled is not a 97 it is a 98, I had a 97 super sport that I bought brand new in the early fall of 96, the 97's had checkered graphics on the hood, here is a link to polarisman.com that shows a picture of the sled you have, its basically the same as a 97 but they just changed the graphics for 98, if you end up tracking down the problem of why its not getting spark and it ends up being the stator and not the coil pack I have a nice stator and flywheel off a 97 Indy trail 488 fan motor for sale, let me know if you end up needing it.

http://polarisman.com/site/DisplayModel.cfm?ModelID=98SNOINDYSUPERSPORT&Year=1998

#9 ·
Thanks for the correction on the year. I don't know my Polaris's that well when it comes to years and all that. Cool, it's newer then. I will let you know what I find with the spark.

#10 ·
95FormulaSS said:
I found this on Craigslist today and went and got it. $450 bucks. Yes, it was for sale here in NC. It needs a tail light and the engine isn't producing spark. It's straight and clean. It's been in storage for 5 years. The guy said he brought it to a Polaris dealer here and they think it needs a coil.

It's a 97 Super Sport 488 fan. It has 2800 miles on the odometer. I can't have 3 sleds, so my buddy in Mass wants it. It kind of looks like a chick sled.

You said it kinda looks like a chick sled, I have a an indy of the same year in white. I like to refer to them as somewhat "Color Confused," but they are by no means chick sleads. The original 488's just run, it would make a great beater sled, and unlike the original 488's this one has an extra 10 suspension so its not a back breaker. With some slight modification these sleds can actually be very fast. You got it for a steal, that is no miles for that, though the ignition pack could be a little expensive, but otherwise that is a major steel.

one other thing i forgot to mention, which is quite common for some Polaris is the spark plug boots. Check an see how easily the spark plug caps come off. If they just pull off easily they need to be replaced and that could be all. The repair is really simple, new spark plug boots are around 3 to 5 dollars for the pair. When I replaced mine it was like a whole new machine.

#11 ·
I know it's not a chick sled, ha. The color scheme is a little too un-manly for my taste. I'm going to take a break from painting freaking trim and go outside to tinker with it. I'll do a compression check and quick overlook of the ignition.

Question: My buddy wants to buy this sled from me. The wife says I don't need 3 sleds. I disagree but she didn't kill me for getting this today. Should I sell my perfectly running Ski-doo and fix this or sell this one as is to my buddy for $500. He doesn't have a sled, so I was thinking of giving this one to him as a favor.

#12 ·
this sled would be a great beginners sled really, not to much power, easy to work on, and a good ride. I would by it from you for 500 in a heart beat really, but to get someone into sledding this is a good sled, by ur info a 670 could be a little fast for a beginner. But check the spark plug boots and c what kind of condition they are in, cuz if its that easy of a fix I would either sell it to your buddy or take it for a ride next season and see how you like it, it will run forever just like the 670.

#13 ·
I just did a compression test and here are the results. 140 fan side and 150 clutch side. That seems high to me, but it does take a good arm to turn it over well.

The spark plug boots are plastic NGK's and they seem to snap on and off normally. I was getting eatin' alive by bugs, so I quick for now.

As far as my buddy, he's not a begginner....he's just poor. LOL. He used to have a couple of XLT triples, but they were just money pits for him.

I stand corrected on the dent comment. It is pushed in a little bit. It won't take much to push it back out.

#15 ·
That does seem a little high, like i mentioned before though if they are a little souped up they can be pretty fast, someone might have thrown some higher comp pistons in it. I would say run it and see how it is when its warm... when u were checking the compression did u leave the spark plugs in the the boots? try that next, see how good your spark is, even if they fit right or snap into place well you could still be getting a weak spark. Especially if the compression is so high you might need a better spark.

#16 ·
I wish my wife was more into it sleds. It would be perfect for her. Maybe I can keep it and put off buying that huge Craftsman toolbox next weekend that she said I could buy. Too many toys....

#17 ·
I KNOW THE FEELING, sept with the girlfriend, but a new toolbox, ooo man I would say the toolbox especially if the wife said yes to it, cut you got the whoooole summer to work on the sled. And something to tinker with keeps real men sane until the snow falls again.

#19 ·
I just took the plugs out and laid them on the engine like I have done for years..and nothing. Key and kill switch both on. That was the first thing I checked. When I do a compression test, I just leave the plug in the cylinder that is not being tested with the cap off.

I didn't check the wire length. The guy said it ran when stored, so what can fail from just sitting? I know mice can eat stuff, but obviously I haven't dug that far yet.

#21 ·
I agree, quite possible. I think I have a new set sitting in the shed somewhere. I hate having something sitting there and not running.

Oh ya, this same dude has a blue mid 90's Vmax and asked if I was interested in buying it after he gets it running. I should have tried to make a package deal for both today.

#23 ·
95FormulaSS said:
I agree, quite possible. I think I have a new set sitting in the shed somewhere. I hate having something sitting there and not running.

Oh ya, this same dude has a blue mid 90's Vmax and asked if I was interested in buying it after he gets it running. I should have tried to make a package deal for both today.
Maybe you can get the yamaha for a steal too

#24 ·
I am a little weary of the early Yamer hamers such as the one you are talking about, but I still think it could be the spark plug boots. 5 bucks is a pretty cheap test before you tear into it more. All you have to do is cut the wires back a little ways so you start with fresh wire, and put the new boots on, mine went from running ruff and bogging down to starting about half way out on the first pull. It was pretty awesome that it was just a 5 dollars fix.

#26 ·
450 Was too much for a non running sled IMO. I dont care if its in good shape, you gotta talk the guy down, find anything wrong with it, and use it against him. If anything, its probably the CDI that went bad, and you can get those cheap, even used for under 20 bucks, atleast around here. I would get rid of them sh!tty plastic spark plug caps and put some NGK rubber ones on there, and use solid tip sparkplugs, i think bpr9es is what they are. The regular br9es have that crappy screw off nipple on the top of the plug and they always come loose, and your sled will loose spark to that cylinder. Its not a bad thing to have higher compression. First off, thats cold compression, and it will go down after you get it running. Start with new plugs and caps and go from there. Also clean the carbs while your at it, and drain all fuel, and make sure the pickup line in the gas tank hasnt fallen off, because if it has, your going to need about half a tank or more to allow it to run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.