Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1997 Ski doo formula 380 s and i drove it probably 25 to 30 miles and it burned a hole right through the p.t.o. side piston. I looked it over when i bought it and noticed that the oil in he injection lines where down by the pump. So i added mixed gas to it because i was afraid it would blow up being the oil was that far down in the line and he had told me he had cleaned the carbs and adjusted them so I believed him. After running it awhile i noticed the oil had finally made it up to the cylinder but soon after that the sled burned a hole in the pto side piston..i had a few people come and look at it and said it was running way to lean...another one said it cold seized[?] because there was no airbox on it while it was being run. Another thing i noticed is that when i bought this sled is that it had no compression on the right side cylinder near the flywheel...i pulled it apart to find a huge o-ring that wasnt the right one...so i took the other head off that had 125 psi...that had no o-ring it all...so my step dad took a look at it and put some type of gasket making stuff in the place where the o-rings were suppose to be...so i dont know if that had to do with anything either..but now i rebuilt it and bought the full gasket set,pistons,rings,needle cage bearings,and pins. I then cleaned the carbs and i just put them on. I never set any of the screws because i dont know the settings and i noticed the oil is back down in the line again by the pump. basically what i'm asking is what im i suppose to do to get the oil back up to the cylinder and how to set the carbs. Or is there something i'm missing that needs to be checked or fixed because i dont know why the pto side piston melted in the center. Thanks and sorry for the long description it was hard to describe..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for the double posting forget about what i said before. I found a link on this website to help the oil injection. i just need the carb specifactions where they should be set the air mixture screw i can get the idle set but not the air mixture screw because i dont wanna run it lean or should i just adjust according to the plug till its like a cocoa brown?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts