Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having some problems with my front suspension on my 97 Ultra Sp. I took it riding last weekend for the first time this year and as soon as i took off i could tell that it was really rough riding. I figured since it was cold I would ride it some and see if it got any better, but it just got worse. By the time I came back to the trailer the front suspension had completely bottomed out and would not come back up. Im guessing it was a shocks that had frozed and eventually had frozen in place once bottomed out. I loaded it on the trailer and left it outside all night (with a high of 8 degrees that night)and the next moring when i came out, the front end was sitting normaly again. Has any body else had this problem? Im guessing that I need my front shocks rebuilt?
2010128211423640_32947.jpg
2010128211419328_32947.jpg
2010128211413593_32947.jpg
20101024202040138_32947.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Nah, its supposed to do that, its the sled hunkering down to the ground to get you some more speed[thumb] Haha, seriously though, your shocks need re-built.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
With that little amount of track on ground and the "wheelbase" being so short, I bet that thing turns on a dime! [8D]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah it was really interesting to ride it the was it was. Ive been checking around to see what it would cost to have them rebuilt and so far the best quote ive gotten is $120 for both, that is if they dont need any extra parts ofcoures. is that a good price or what am i looking to spend here? ive never had shocks rebuilt before.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
adam.rairden said:
yeah it was really interesting to ride it the was it was. Ive been checking around to see what it would cost to have them rebuilt and so far the best quote ive gotten is $120 for both, that is if they dont need any extra parts ofcoures. is that a good price or what am i looking to spend here? ive never had shocks rebuilt before.
holy crap, you're getting hosed! I know 3 shock rebuilders in the Twin Cities metro, they charge $25 a shock for a rebuild. One of them is a "home business", the other two just do it as a side-gig.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok well that helps me out. Im going to keep looking around some then and see what I can find around here. It might be cheaper just to ship them somewhere. Im not in a real big hurry to get it done because its not my primary sled. just kinda a fun one to mess around on.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I know there are a couple guys on the site here that will rebuild them for you if you ship it to them. I'm positive it will be cheaper than that $120 quote. I believe Dman is one of these guys

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I've done plenty for family and friends. Where abouts are you located? I'm in Shell Lake, WI, near Spooner, and I work in Siren WI.

Reason I ask is if you could avoid shipping, that's the way to go. Otherwise I think it's about $15 for a pair of shocks to ship.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im in Waterloo Iowa. I was looking at my shocks last night and the rod in the middle is really pitted on both on the shocks. Is that something that sould have to be replaced or do I just need to get new shocks at that point?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
You can get just the shafts for about $60 each I think. You may be better off finding a set of used shocks. I think you have the extra 10 front. Most of the time, you can get them for about $100-125 for the pair. That's what we usually sell them for. They are also done with new oil, seals as needed, and nitrogen.

The pitting can make the seal leak. If it's not really bad, you may be able to sand the rust off and see but that a little risky as then if they leak, you have to pay again. I am fortunate enough to do it myself if they leak.

MIght be a cheaper option then a rebuild, and new shafts.

I can check if we have any X10 left. The last pair sold for $75 on ebay.....

·
Registered
394 Posts
i personally would get new shocks instead of dinking with these ones. They arent that bad, find someone who is parting out a sled and you should be able to get some for relatively cheap

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah i might be better off looking into different ones. I found that I can get Kimpex shock off of Dennis Kirk for $91 each, so that may be the better option instead of putting $85 or so into rebuilding each one. Next question is is Kimpex a good brand or should I be looking at something different. I know my rear skid is x-tra 10 but i dont believe the front is. I know the rear has Fox shocks but the front are just standard Polaris 8" i believe. Is there a way to tell for sure what the front has on it?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
The front is xtra 10 as well. I can't remember if Kimpex are rebuildable or not, if they are sealed shocks (aren't rebuildable) don't buy them, they will be dead in a 1000 miles and will need to be replaced again. Usually Kimpex items are prettly low quality IMO, and I won't use their brand for essential components, like skis or shocks or engine stuff. Some people do like Kimpex parts though.

I just realized your front might be so low because you have 8" shocks in it. The trailing arms in the picture are Xtra 10, and the '97 Ultra SP has xtra 10 suspension front and rear. what are the length of your shocks? 13.25" eye to eye are the 8" shocks, ~16.75" long are the Xtra 10 shocks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will have to measure it tomorrow and see what they measure. That would explain alot if someone before me put the wrong shocks in it which casued it to sit on the ground. Ill lift up the front end and try to measure it tomorrow then and see. I just found a set of Fox shocks for a extra 10 for $80, which sounds like a good deal.

·
Registered
463 Posts
looks to me like your sled has the 8" front suspension and xtra 10 rear, i put the xtra 10 front shocks on in place of my 8" with no problems on my xcr

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I gaurantee that the sled has extra 10 front stock, and it indeed does have xtra-10 on it in the pictures.

I'm really thinking that the wrong sized shocks are installed. If they were actually xtra-10, the shock pressure would nonexistent and the springs would have to be completely crapped for the nose to be sagging that much, which is pretty unlikely. I've never seen a sled sit that low because of bad shocks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah it was a bad ride back to the trailer... I had to go through a corn field for about 2 miles of it. Im going to get those fox shocks today hopfully and put them in and see how it rides. Im just hoping the new shocks are is good condition like i was told they were.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts