Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a old 1997 ultra spx. I know they are tanks but would like to know what the hp on the spx is? I hate the body style but $500 is a good deal.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If it runs well that is a good deal...

I think the SPX's all came with triple pipes?? I had read somewhere that they came with around 135 hp, which is believable. We have an old SPX in my barn that we use as a backup and it eats up our newer twins in drag races (600 and 700's). It handles like crap and the suspension sucks, but man do those motors pull!

Make sure you change or rebuild the water pump every season or two depending on how much you ride, that will save you lots of headaches! Besides that we have had great luck with them in the past.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I happen to have a owners manual for said sled! feel free to ask questions, and i can look them up.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I took mine to a friends place last year and they said it should be around 140hp and yes they handel like a tank but the ride is not bad. Yes watch the water pump but they don't need rebuilt every other year. You got to be a big dude to get it to carve cause there heavy as hell!

·
Registered
94 Posts
We have owned three sleds with this motor and one lost a top end (1900 miles) and another the top and bottom (2600miles) b/c of the water pump failure. From then on we rebuilt them about every other year depending on miles...

Just my $0.02, but I would rather wrench and spend the $100 on rebuilding the water pump than a lot more on repairing the motor, plus the down time during the season.

Did you end up getting it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
trailjunkie said:
I happen to have a owners manual for said sled! feel free to ask questions, and i can look them up.
hey i was just wondering if you could look up the carb settings for me i when to the store and tryed to pick a manual up for my sled but it was 200$ thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
380/50 is stock 38vm mikuni, use a .288 drill bit to sink em, one turn out on air and adjust idle screw about 3 1/2 turns out or until a little past snug after setting with the .288 drill bit. This is all from the manual i bought on it, I have the same engine in my 600 xcr that I am currently rebuilding, as for the water pump, keep your ears open for a high pitch whinning noise from the front of the motor, when you hear that shut the sled off and rebuild the pump. It has a plastic gear in it that goes. Good luck and let us know how it runs...

You could also Buy the cd manual on ebay for $3.00 Its got everything the book has, I have em both. Very handy to have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts