Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so last December actually, to the day as of tomorrow I bought a 1997 XCR 440 for 1700 bucks. The thing looked good when I bought it, straight race bars, new track, new seat, shocks just recharged, relatively clean, etc. So I took it home and went for a ride in -25 degree weather, it ran alright sort of boggy so I decided to take the carbs apart and clean them....thats where i noticed not only were they green and dirty a float mount post had been snapped clean off and reglued, all the settings were messed too, thats issue number one. Number two is much bigger... Decided to take the valves out and clean them, except when I took the black cover off holy crap whatdya know this thing has NO exhaust valves!!! All that was in the housing was a big bolt jammed into the housing to block off the port (no damage to the block/port, but the housing is junk now) I went down to my local dealership (which I will never go to again) and tried to order complete exhaust valve assemblies. They told me they could not find any info whatsoever on my sled, not even what kind of jets to put in it and that exhaust valve assemblies and many other parts were no longer produced for my sled because it is rare (the first year Polaris came out with VES...changed it in 98) so now I'm basically SOL. I'm hoping someone on here can help me out with carb jetting/settings for this model, buying 2 brand new carbs for it. Running it with no exhaust valves and block off plates isn't working. The thing has poor performance all throughout the powerband and fouls plugs like crazy, likes to top out at 40mph some days and run on one cylinder.. If anyone knows where I can get 2 complete ehaust valve assemblies cables and all it would be greatly appreciated!! Don't wanna give up on this thing yet!!

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
The valves assemblies are the same as a 98 xcr 440. Sled is not as rare as they are telling you. Read the xcr 440 thread. There is all the info you will need.
I found spare valve/cylinders on ebay.

·
Registered
393 Posts
xcr440 said:
The valves assemblies are the same as a 98 xcr 440. Sled is not as rare as they are telling you. Read the xcr 440 thread. There is all the info you will need.
Yes xcr440 is right,look around,lots of used part sled salvage yards around,find some good used stuff,new will cost you a fortune and won,t work any better.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been looking around called and emailed many scrapyards....they have nothing. in 98 i thought the ports were shaped differently? I have been reading the thread...lots of useful stuff there
Rainman56 said:
xcr440 said:
Yes xcr440 is right,look around,lots of used part sled salvage yards around,find some good used stuff,new will cost you a fortune and won,t work any better.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Will these fit your sled?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polaris-xc-440-xcr-exhaust-valve-2000-1999-01-02-98-500-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19c1eadf4aQQitemZ110627577674QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_567wt_939

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea mine are the same as in the pic...just picked up a mint cond. red head, power valves, cylinders and a new y pipe today. just need a top end gasket set and its ready to go!!
PolarisIndySKS said:
No, those are newer. The ones on his sled were the first version and look a bit different. Thats what they should look like. I had a 98 XCR 440. 2010122712811984_29056.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts