Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get tired of pulling my guts out when it's super cold out trying to start this beast. Any advice on putting electric start on this machine - cost and procedure?

Thanks in advance - Heading north soon to Minnesota

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Before you go out and spend all that hard earned money on electric start, try turning the gas off when you park the sled or park it going up hill. Front end elevated.
Could be bad needle and seats in the carbs. I have the same sled and never had a problem starting it and I have not replaced the needle and seats in the carbs. I'll even run mine for a couple of minutes at the end of the day with the gas turned off. I know the needle and seats are leaking because if I don't follow this proceedure, it floods and then I wish I had electric start.
On the other hand, electric start kits are fairly expensive. $500+ I think from the dealer. And you may also need a different clutch to accept the starter ring.
Someone else can hopefully chime in with that info for you.
D

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Late model XLT's are notorious for having needles and seats that wear out very quickly leading to hard starting. Normally the sled should only require 1-3 pulls if they are ok and choke is set up right. Electric start kits are very expensive and difficult to find used and require some mechanical skill to install. To install the kit you will need:
- primary clutch with a ring gear ( or switch out yur fixed 1/2 for one with a ring gear )
- battery
- ignition switch
- starter
- solenoid
- rectifier
- battery wiring/ignition wiring
- starter bracket
- battery bracket
I think that covers it. If it was me I would try turning the fuel off and let the sled run for 10-15 seconds or so before shutting it off. The next time you go to start the machine turn the fuel back on and start it, it should be easier to start, this would indicate that your needle and seats are leaking slighty which causes the hard starts. Replacing the needles and seats are much easier and cheaper than buying an electric start kit.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Would probably be cheaper getting the carbs properly tuned. A properly tuned XLT will start in 3-pulls, even in the coldest of weather. As mentioned above the needles and seats were a problem.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
definately something outta tune. should start easy. but as far as electric start. its and easy installation if you mechanically inclinded, and can be fond used or nos relativley reasonable. i put a used kit on my 95 xlt including clutch for $175 . but i had to keep watch for it and jump on it when i saw it.
tune it up first. cheaper and easier. electric start is for the wife.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My problem is that it's hard to pull through - not that it easy to pull and doesn't start. I've had all manner of Polaris triples and this is by far the hardest to pull through. Just wondering - why don't snowmobiles have compression releases like 2 stroke dirt bikes and chain saws? I've been riding over 20 years and could never figure this out. I'll try suggestions - thanks for everyone's posts. Very helpful - Mac

1 - 6 of 6 Posts