Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 1997 XLT SP. I've heard all this stuff about the PTO side bearing and the likes of it failing. From the sounds of it if it was going to go it would have already. The sled has 3500 miles on it.

I haven't picked up a Manual yet and would like to adjust my track tension. What is the correct method that the "BOOK" says to use. Is it with a weight or without a weight? What is the spec 3/4 to 1 1/2 inch. If any of you fine folks could check your manual it would be appreciated.

I'm a 230 lb beer swilling bbq eating fool and was wondering if anyone has upgraded the rear shocks to a BIG BOY size spring and had any good results.

One last thing. Again I haven't gotten a manual yet and would like to adjust belt tension. I know the straightedge method from Clutch to clutch but looking for the spec out of the manual for gap between belt and straightedge.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you,
KB

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
You'll love that sled rmbbikes, I've got the same one and the same year. From what I've heard concerning the pto side bearing on the crank, Polaris upgraded them for 97 and on. So ours should be ok. Plus if you were going to have the problems the others did, you would of had them by now. My sled has 6000 miles on it, and my bearing is still going strong.

I have the shop manual, but unfortunately its at home right now (and even more unfortunate, I'm at work). But the 97 XLT SP has the Xtra-12 suspension in it. This suspension DOES NOT require a weight hanging from the track. You measure 2" behind the rubber bump stop that is found on each side of the suspension rail. I believe the spec is 3/4 to 1" of hang between the rail and the track. If someone else doesn't know for certain, I can check my manual tonight.

I only weigh in at a massive 170 lbs, so I can't help ya out on those Big Boy springs.

As for belt tension, I'm assuming you mean belt deflection? If so I believe its 1 and 1/4" between the clutches utilizing the straight edge technique you speak of. Again not 100% on the spec, but will check manual tonight if no one else gets to it first.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
http://www.geocities.com/schmidt92/main_page.html

I have a 97xltsp too. I think you will like this sled, unless you are a Morgan wannabe that is. Try the above link for some info. on the PTO bearing problems associated with these machines. I believe the article states that in 1997 is when Polaris fixed the problems and that only the late release xltsp came with the enlarged pro oiling hole. You'll be able to check your serial number...anyways check the site.

Track tension should be as loose as possible be ratcheting. I measure as Tfin does and have about 1 inch sag with no weight, no ractheting, which means you might be able to go even looser if you like. The manual track tension specs, IMO, are to tight.

Enjoy your new ride, still waiting for snow here.

Can't help ya with the shocks as at 180pds the stockers work well for me. Have you stiffened the pre-load on the shocks first?

·
Registered
777 Posts
get the H.D.SPRINGS from polaris,it will much better for you

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
RM,

I have a 97 XLT Special and weight around 230 +-. All I did was adjust the spring preload to high and turn up the shock spring pre-loads and it seem to ride ok. My sled only has about 1000 miles so I don't know how it will ride after I get some miles on it.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Godd points polaris xltsp. Plus put your torsion bars on the high setting. That will stiffen up the rear suspension or is that what you meant by spring preload.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Ya the torsion spring preload and the shocks, just turn em up and back em down a little at a time if it rides to stiff. Polaris has a video on suspension setup
on there website

1 - 8 of 8 Posts