Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Venture 600 twin with smart carbs,I have the shop
manual for it but would like more detailed info on how it works .
Does any one know where I can get more info on this .
Willson

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
When you say "Shop Manual", I'm assuming you're talking about the full service shop manual and not the owners manual. Every full service shop manual I've ever seen explains everything in good detail.

What's the concept behind the "smart carbs"?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The carbs are electronicaly adjusted to compensate for temp and altitude .There are
2 solinoids on each carb one low one high speed ,controled by a computer .It has 5 in puts atmospheric pressure,throttle position,
air tem ,water temp and cdi unit . What I don,t know is to what temp and altitude it
compensates for ,and does it do any thing to timming .I have the Yamaha factory shop manuel and it gives me just enough info to
diagnose and fix it .Iwould like to under stand it better so I can cheat the system .
Thank you for your interest.
Willson

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
That sounds like a system similar to EFI. That is artic cat's version of what you are talking about. I don't know the little details you are looking for but I'm sure someone here will or you can try searching EFI...

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yeah, it sounds exactly like EFI, or something damn close. Sorry, I can't offer any help on this one.....I have zero experience or knowledge on EFI systems. But like SledHead stated, there are guys around here that do. So hopefully one of them will pick this up and give you some insight. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
506 Posts
it's not EFI, it's a self adjusting carburateur. yamaha used 'em for a couple years, but never had the success they woul dhave liked. eventually dropped the idea. I'm actually surprised to see it on a '97.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I am really in trouble with this thing today I rode 26 km and melted the mag side piston also scored the pot . I havn,t determined the cause yet but I think it was to lean . Are Yama 600 twins prone to mag side crank seal leaks ,it only has 5000 km .

Willson

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
yeah it probably was to lean, I've never heard or a piston melting because it was to rich...

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Originally posted by Willson
[br]Now I am really in trouble with this thing today I rode 26 km and melted the mag side piston also scored the pot . I havn,t determined the cause yet but I think it was to lean . Are Yama 600 twins prone to mag side crank seal leaks ,it only has 5000 km .

Willson
That totally sucks, sorry to hear it. I don't recall hearing that Yami 600 twins were prone to mag side crank seal leaks. A friend had a 97 Vmax XTC with around 5000 or 6000 miles, and his was still running strong.

One of the jets in the mag side carb may of been plugged which would of caused a lean condition. Or maybe that carb boot my have a tear in it and sucked in too much air, which would also cause a lean condition. Let us know what you find during the rebuild.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I never really found out why the piston popped ,I think it was toast when i bought it .The dealer I bought it from said they did the carbs ,so a jet could have been pluged .The Crank seals looked ok I replaced them any way .I also rebuilt the crank It needed three bearings . I have made 220 km since and it runns great .I poasted pics of the piston on this site if you want to see what it looked like .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Willson,
I also have a 1997 Yamaha Venture 600. I was wondeing if you know anything at all about the SMART carb system, I mostly ride in Ontario where there is little to no elevation change. I am wondering if it would help the sled in extremely cold conditions.

I also find that the sled is sometimes sluggish when i put the hammer down, it takes a second then kicks in, also when up around 70KPH sometimes the sled doesn't seem to have much power left in it, but the next time it will take off up to 140-150 kph.

I like the sled, it has about 5000 kms on it and has been mostly trail ridden in Quebec.

Thanks for any info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts