Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[:D] All i want is some input on these machines horsepower, speed problems are they a good trail sled if set up correctly. What do they reline at foir rpms? I would like to find one but i want to know some known problems and ups and downs. All you owners help me. Will it be an upgrade from a 85-90 mph indy trail 488?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the 98 440 xcr is a blast. my buddy has one and compared to any 99 500 or the stock xlt's he smokes them. if you set up the suspension for your wieght there will be no one to touch you. it wont be just an upgrade you will laugh you head off. he has 2000 miles and zero problems.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
/polarisman/../images/users/Polaris-Man/byebyexcr2.jpg

You mean one of those? [:D]

From the year those machines were released, They were said to have around 95 HP.

Fastest I had mine, was last spring on a lake with a bit of snow cover, it hit 100 mph on the speedo, so my guess is I was going around 90.

It's an awesome trail sled, they have tons of bottom end, and decent top end (don't forget it's only a 440)

The suspensions give an extremely nice ride. You just have to be willing to try lots of different things. It took me nearly a full winter to get mine clutched, geared, and 100% set up properly. I never bought any clutch kits or anything, I preferred to do it myself. Try lots of different things, then you get it how you think it should be, not how someone else thinks it should be.

My dad and my brother both have indy trails, and my XCR could walk all over them, no matter what speed range. Acceleration, top speed, midrange power, everything was superior on my XCR. (fuel mileage, well, I think the trail had me beat there..)

Mine had 3800 miles on it when I sold it, and it still ran perfect, compression was 120 psi on each cyl.

Max RPM on the 1998 XCR 440 is 8250 +/- 200 RPM (from 8050 to 8450)

Anything else? [;)]

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
do a search, I asked the same thing a while ago when I was in the market for one. Turns out I had dificulty finding a 98 that was in my budget and wasn't raced and well abused. I settled for a 97 and that thing hauls butt so the 98 with reed valve induction and exhaust valves would really haul ass!

Will it be an upgrade from a 85-90 mph indy trail 488
obviously, it's one heck of an upgrade

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Will it be an upgrade from an indy Trail 488? YES, it would be a huge upgrade!

Here's mine:

/snofan/../images/users/megaman/2xcr440.jpg

Power from the USA-built 440 twin is great! Especially for it's small size. It handles nicely and is fun to throw around in the rough stuff. I have nearly 3500 miles on the original engine with no problems. I get about the same numbers as P-man listed: 125 psi compression and tops out around 100 mph on the speedo. As far as acceleration goes, it's quite similar to the 98 XC 600.

They are a wonderful trail sled if set up for it. Suspension will be stiffer when compared to an indy Trail. I have clutched, geared, and jetted mine for my riding style, and i'm very happy with it.

If you have any questions, let us know.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow thanks for the input guys. That was quick. P-man thats a nice ride(i like your new one better though). Same for you megaman thats a awsome sled you have there. I would like to pick one up but can't get it till summer. I'm only sixteen so you know that money doesn't come easy at my age. Thanks again, Happy sledn'.

POLARIS ALL THE WAY!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts