Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might buy this sled Monday pr tomorrow night I'd greatly appreciate a quick response. This is the craigslist description the guy said the body has 5k on it an the engine has less then 3k apparently

1998 zr500 body with a 1999 500 efi motor in it. Bought from original owner. Shocks rebuilt last year, new stator and fuel pump. Runs great. 96 studs in the track no torn lugs. Upgraded seat with handle bar riser. Good shape for being 16 years old. I'm looking to upgrade to a firecat so this needs to go first. He's asking 1,500$ I got him down to 1,400$ an not a dime lower he said the cylinders are at 105 an 107psi is this something I should worry about ? Any help/input would be nice thanks

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I usually like to have machines that have mostly original parts but that is my preference. You never know if an engine swap was done right or cobbled together. That said, $1500 seems a little high, you can usually get a almost mint one for that at least in my area. 105 and 107 is low numbers, anything 110 and under usually needs rebuilt. The numbers are close though which is more important then the number being high. As long as it starts easily I wouln't worry much but do plan for a rebuild in the next year or two depending upon how much you ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did buy the sled today just picked it up a few hours ago, If it sits a while it's takes anywhere from 3-6 pulls an when it's cold it's idles low but when it's warms up ( less then 45seconds) it idles normal how much do you think a rebuild would be ? I can do it but I'd rather have a shop do it so I won't have to worry about me screwing something up.

1,792 Posts
I usually like to have machines that have mostly original parts but that is my preference. You never know if an engine swap was done right or cobbled together. That said, $1500 seems a little high, you can usually get a almost mint one for that at least in my area. 105 and 107 is low numbers, anything 110 and under usually needs rebuilt. The numbers are close though which is more important then the number being high.
There may be an inaccuracy factor from gage to gage, so that's why they say the cylinders should be close to each other.

1,792 Posts
I did buy the sled today just picked it up a few hours ago, If it sits a while it's takes anywhere from 3-6 pulls an when it's cold it's idles low but when it's warms up ( less then 45seconds) it idles normal how much do you think a rebuild would be ? I can do it but I'd rather have a shop do it so I won't have to worry about me screwing something up.
Maybe $200-$300? Don't remember what I was charged 4-5 years ago when I had my carbs cleaned because I had other work done. Low cold idle is normal, you may have to baby the choke for the first 30-45 seconds when cold . As long as it'll idle by itself when cold and warm afterward, nothing to worry about. You may try running a few tanks to carb cleaner through it first to see what that does and make sure you siphon all old gas out and replace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts