Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, well im tryin to sell my sled and i am really interested in buying a 1998 indy 500. What i am wondering is if it is a reliable machine? Im only 14 so i dont need a very powerful machine but i want something that is really fun to drive. Im also wondering how the suspension is on this model. I would appreciate any help and advice!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
great sled, good power and you cant kill them. it has the extra 10 suspension which is set up to drive hard.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
One of the best sleds polaris made. It was a sad day when they dropped it from their line. I have one. My wife rides it. Great gas milage. Seems like she goes 2 days before I need to fill it up.

It has plenty of git up and go. Suspension is just as good as any machine in that year. Has xtra 10 on it all around.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I had a '99, sold it to a friend. i loved it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
thats a bullet proof machine, we have 2 488's which are the same motor as the 500 but the 500 is liquid and the 488 is a fan, there a fun sled to have

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I had a 94 Indy 500 EFI...great sled, but very heavy....only downside to the sled. Otherwise Polaris09 says.."Bulletproof".

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Originally posted by polaris09
[br]thats a bullet proof machine, we have 2 488's which are the same motor as the 500 but the 500 is liquid and the 488 is a fan, there a fun sled to have
polaris manufactured 2 488 Fuji motors...one was fan and was in the "trail" models and the other was liquid and was in the "indy 500" models. same engine just different cooling. Polaris made the 500 domestic twin which is known as the liberty. Its a totally different engine which might be the one you are thinking of.

·
Registered
901 Posts
they are really good sleds and keep on going. they also can take a beating.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by 91indy500sp
[br]
Originally posted by polaris09
[br]thats a bullet proof machine, we have 2 488's which are the same motor as the 500 but the 500 is liquid and the 488 is a fan, there a fun sled to have
polaris manufactured 2 488 Fuji motors...one was fan and was in the "trail" models and the other was liquid and was in the "indy 500" models. same engine just different cooling. Polaris made the 500 domestic twin which is known as the liberty. Its a totally different engine which might be the one you are thinking of.
Sorry but the fan and liquid 488's arn't even remotly the same....

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 96 Indy 500. I really think it runs well. I have had a problem with the original bumper hitting the dirt when going over a steep transition.

Just make sure you have good track, studs, skis, carbides, and shocks. If you have all these things, you'll have just a much fun as anyone on newer sleds.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Originally posted by anm109
[br]I have a 96 Indy 500. I really think it runs well. I have had a problem with the original bumper hitting the dirt when going over a steep transition.

Just make sure you have good track, studs, skis, carbides, and shocks. If you have all these things, you'll have just a much fun as anyone on newer sleds.
Well, its official, everyone has trouble with 1996 Evolved chassis sleds using their bumper as a shovel. That darn IFS/XTRA-10 combination just kills the bumper. It seems like the 98+ sleds with the XTRA-10 front and rear and the updated bumper had a lot fewer problems with this, so that 98 should be a great sled for you.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I have a few friends who put the shorter 98+ bumper on their older evolved sleds. Seems to work other than a pain to get your gloved hands in there.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]I have a few friends who put the shorter 98+ bumper on their older evolved sleds. Seems to work other than a pain to get your gloved hands in there.
That's good, because I just installed that bumper about 3 weeks ago. I was hoping that it would work, but haven't been able to trail ride and find out yet. Now that I fixed the bumper problem, I just need to fix its screwy handling and I should be good to go!!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks alot eevryone for you input, im pretty sure if i sell my sled i will be buying a 1998 indy 500

1 - 17 of 17 Posts