Snowmobile Fanatics banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this 98 mach z 800 triple is driving me crazy. The thing won't idle on the pto cylinder. It fires on the other two but the pto pipe stays ice cold. If you rev it a bit or run it on a stand it screams on all 3, but as soon as you let it idle the pto cylinder quits. It has excellent compression, about 130 on all 3. The spark seems sort of weak to me but is the same on all 3. Carbs have been cleaned spotless. Air screws are at 4 1/4 turns out (I saw on a post somewhere) adjusting it makes no difference. Have sprayed carb cleaner behind the clutch, no change in idle (thought maybe it was a bad crank seal). The sled runs good and strong when you ride it but will not idle on all 3. It seems like its not getting fuel on that cylinder. Anyone have any ideas, crank seals, piston skirts, anything? I would like to get pointed in the right direction before I tear into this thing. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? I pulled the primary clutch and the pto seal looks nice. Carb boot, reeds and piston skirts are good. What am I missing? Why wont this thing idle on that cylinder? Have the carbs off for third to
e. Changed the float setting yesterday on the problem cylinder, it was different than the other two. No change, still wont fire that cylinder at idle. Sprayed Carb cleaner in pilot jet hole in Carb and it comes out hole in throat. I'm lost here. Any ideas? Anyone?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'm kinda having the same prob on a zrt 600 ... did all of the above and I'm in the same boat lmfao hopefully we get some help[thumb]

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm convinced that this sled is possessed. After pulling and re-installing the primary, checking piston skirts, reeds, carb boot and cleaning the pilot jet again. I put it all back together and it won't start, no spark. I'm ready to burn this thing.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I pulled the pipes on mine and they were full of gas.... mind you that is on the two cylinders that were running... I got my dead one goin but then the other two started to act up so I'm kinda happy its raining where I'm at lmao

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Shoot a little gas down the spark plug holes. Carbs may still be dry. If you get it running swap plug wires to see if the problem travels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So this 98 mach z 800 triple is driving me crazy. The thing won't idle on the pto cylinder. It fires on the other two but the pto pipe stays ice cold. If you rev it a bit or run it on a stand it screams on all 3, but as soon as you let it idle the pto cylinder quits. It has excellent compression, about 130 on all 3. The spark seems sort of weak to me but is the same on all 3. Carbs have been cleaned spotless. Air screws are at 4 1/4 turns out (I saw on a post somewhere) adjusting it makes no difference. Have sprayed carb cleaner behind the clutch, no change in idle (thought maybe it was a bad crank seal). The sled runs good and strong when you ride it but will not idle on all 3. It seems like its not getting fuel on that cylinder. Anyone have any ideas, crank seals, piston skirts, anything? I would like to get pointed in the right direction before I tear into this thing. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.