Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1998 or 1999 Polaris rmk 700?

14K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Polaris_Parts_MN 
#1 ·
Hi I'm new to this site and need help picking a snowmobile.let me introduce my self, I'm 14 6ft tall and weigh around 175 pounds. Ok so I need a new sled to me snowmobile ,found 2 sleds as listed in title.lets start with the '98 here I'm just gonna put the exact description as the ad on craigslist,
I have a '98 RMK 700 for sale. It has been stretched out and now has a Holtz rear suspension with Fox shocks, 151 track and tunnel extension. I also installed new drive shaft bearings when I put the longer track on. It also has a reinforced steering post with handlebar risers and extended brake line. The hyfaxes are in good shape and there are ice scratchers mounted on the rails. It has SLP twin pipes / silencer and the carbs have been jetted accordingly. It has Vforce reeds and an SLP clutch kit that's matched to the exhaust mods. The Simmons flex skis ride awesome and track well. All the maintenance has been kept up to date and it's been stored inside. All in all it's been a great sled and it's ready to ride.
Here's the '99I have a '99 RMK 700 for sale. It's mostly stock with a few upgrades. It has been stretched out and now has a Holtz rear suspension with Fox shocks, 151 ported track, big wheel kit and tunnel extension. I also installed new drive shaft bearings when I put the longer track on. It also has a reinforced steering post with handlebar risers and extended brake line. The hyfaxes are in good shape and there are ice scratchers mounted on the rails. All the maintenance has been kept up to date and it's been stored inside. All in all it's been a great sled and it's ready to ride.

'98 $1600 '99 $1800. I LOVE. To go off the trails make my own paths, currently I have 2 old old 340 enticers,and my dad '89 exciter.the 2 enticer are WAY better at doing what I love than the 570 exciter.iam starting to get into more mtn way more .i live outside central Washington .i ride on power line trails but I go in mtns and on the power line trail I can go almost anywhere,when ever we get snow here ill show you what I mean with one of the 340s

See less See more
#3 ·
The 98 has twin pipes, it's also going to be clutched for those pipes.. It will have a bit more hp and be more fun, but also require more maintenance.

Other than that, the specs are mostly similar.

#5 ·
The '99 is the Gen II and I find it has way more ergonomic controls than the wedge chassis. It will also have the updated master cylinder which has a better brake lever. Truthfully both should be good, both have Holz aftermarket goodies. The '98 will have the 220 cylinders with more aggressive porting. The Gen II's have weak steering columns so it's good that the '99 has a reinforced column. Honestly they should be the same, just get the one that's cheaper. If the same price, I'd go with the '99 since it will resell for higher in the future because it is the next chassis and has the updated controls/body style.

#8 · (Edited)
98-99 chassis are the same sled. Only real difference is the tub/hood/controls. Iv Taken a 99 gen2 tub/body and it was a direct swap on to a 97' sks I had a few years back.

There solid sleds, I'd check the compression (these old 700's usually ran 120-125psi) while the plugs are out check them out to be sure it is not running lean. inspect for egged out holes on the suspension and shock towers.

#10 ·
Use a compression tester to test compression and egged out holes are holes in the suspension rails or shock towers that are egg-shaped (makes sense, doesn't it :cool:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.