Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i have a 98 polaris indy trail and it wont start i need some help figureing out what it is also what could i do to get some more preformance out of it its a little doggy for me and want some more speed and power any input helps

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
So... does it not start or does it not run properly???

·
Registered
104 Posts
if it doens't start check the air box and muffler for clogs, lil criiters like those spots

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
airbox, carbs, pugs, no gas, fuel lines, fuel pump, spark?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
he says there's compression, gas and spark.
That only leaves air. unless the gas is only getting to the carb but not the cylinder.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Your posts have been a bit on the vague side. When you try to start it what does it do? It could be many things but without more info nobody can help ya out. After you pull it over a bunch of times pull the plugs. Are they wet or dry? Like Poo said, do a compression check.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Plugs wet? Crank case could be full of gas,there should be a drain plug for each cylinder a few inches under the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
polarisripper369 said:
hello i have a 98 polaris indy trail and it wont start i need some help figureing out what it is also what could i do to get some more preformance out of it its a little doggy for me and want some more speed and power any input helps
I don't get it???? You say it won't start, but yet you want to get more performance and it's doggy... so did it run before hand??? and NOW it won't start???? Fill us in (details) and are you from the Coldsprings just north of Orr, MN?????

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ultrawillie said:
polarisripper369 said:
I don't get it???? You say it won't start, but yet you want to get more performance and it's doggy... so did it run before hand??? and NOW it won't start???? Fill us in (details) and are you from the Coldsprings just north of Orr, MN?????

yes it ran this winter and at the end of the season it allways got harder and harder to start and i want to get more power out of it for the next season it dosent have the power i want and dont really feel like investing in a new sled with out a job thanks

Mhawk said:
Your posts have been a bit on the vague side. When you try to start it what does it do? It could be many things but without more info nobody can help ya out. After you pull it over a bunch of times pull the plugs. Are they wet or dry? Like Poo said, do a compression check.
yes the plugs are wet after i turn it over a few times and i did a compression check it was the the same as it was before the season when i try to start it it dosent seem like it sparks and when the plugs are out and touching metal there is spark

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's probably flooding out somehow. I'd check the needles and seats in the carbs. Unless the PTO side only is wet, then chech fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Mhawk said:
[highlight=yellow]It's probably flooding out somehow[/highlight=yellow]. I'd check the needles and seats in the carbs. Unless the PTO side only is wet, then chech fuel pump.
X2

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
what is the compression on each cylinder?
is pto side wet around crankshaft?
BOTH plugs have good spark?
?pull carbs and exhaust possibly cracked piston skirt?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
polarisripper369 said:
yes it ran this winter and at the end of the season it allways got harder and harder to start and i want to get more power out of it for the next season it dosent have the power i want and dont really feel like investing in a new sled with out a job thanks
well your first problem is that it is a 488 fan cooled. dependable? yes. power? no. There isn't any availability for aftermarket performance either. if you want more power you have to get a more powerful sled.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
allright cleaned the carbs gutted the airbox and put some gas in the carbs and it started thanks for the info on all of this it was a great help

1 - 19 of 19 Posts