Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 1998 Polaris Indy trail touring 488. Reverse just grinds, I took the drive chain housing apart expecting to see gears missing teeth. All the gears were good, the chain was fine, and the reverse gear would slide out and mesh with the smaller spur gear by hand. I put it back together and still the grinding noise and no reverse. I thought that maybe it could be that the cable was not pulling hard enough and not totally engaging the reverse gear. My father took a screw driver and pushed the reverse shifting lever on the case up till it wouldn't go further. started the sled up and still no reverse and the grinding noise. Any Suggestions On What Could Be The Problem????????????

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would take a look at the adjustment on the reverse cable. It should be a little hard to put in reverse and sometimes that you can not do it so you have to move the seld a couple of inches. So I would look at that. Now make sure that you have the chain adjusted right. What you need to do it make it tight with the adjustment screw and back it off a 1/4 turn. This will have the right adjustment for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts