Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bro went to new Brunswick friday on vacation. he rolled in with his gf about 4 pm today and to everyones suprize there was a xcr on the back of his truck. the sled got 4354 miles. has reverse backrest mirrors studs. a new crank, clutches and chaincase mid way thre w last winter. suposidly the crank snapped off n ruined the clutch. but the rest of the motor is fine comp. is 137 138 and 140. the track is in aweseom shape 1 stud is ripped out. my bro was wondering since noone runs studs up here if it would b alright to remove them. he didnt know if it would rip since the holes would be there. he bout it cuz his 500 couldnt keep up to the pack and he got a mad deal. he got it for 3495 canadian.

·
Administrator
1998 XCR 440
13,109 Posts
The guy who bought my 1998 XCR 440 SP took the studs out, and when I aquired that sled it had holes, but no studs in them. Guy who bought my machine is a snowmobile mechanic also, and he says it's not a problem.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright man, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I can't imagine why someone would want to pull studs out. That is if they are in good shape.Tell him to leave the studs in and ride it first.I'll almost bet he will like it better.Riding around with a track full of stud holes will put more stress on the track.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is only 1 person that we know and sled with that run studs. and last year my bro was folloing him and a stud went right threw one of the hood scoops. he thought that was really scraey so he dont want it to happin with him n get sued. plus we dont run much ice here and theres plunty of traction without studs. and another thing the water cool at the back of the tunnel infront of the snow flap is already dammaged from bottoming out the suspention and the studs hit it.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
It's just a coinsidence that a stud flew out, they even make a big difference on hard packed riding, the back end doesn't slide as much, it takes off faster, and stops better.

·
Super Moderator
11,293 Posts
On my 95 xcr 600 I had a stud fly though my snowflap, then my track ripped so I replaced it with another studded track and it ripped again and tore a hole in my front heat exchanger, I had to pull the motor to replace it..Now I have a 1.5 paddle on it and I love it..Thats my experiance with studs..

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Do you loose much top end with the paddle track.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my bro went to fredricton (where he bought it at hawkins) sussex, moncton, and some where else. he was looking at 680 spx's n that 700 he said it was the best deal so he bought it

·
Super Moderator
11,293 Posts
You will loose top end with a paddle but you gain it all back on the bottom end..I would guess 10mph maybe depending on the lug height, I would recommend gearing it down a tooth if you go with a paddle to get the most out of it...

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have never had studs and will probobly never get any, but if I had a sled that came with them, I'd probobly leave them in.If the track is kept tight it shouldn't hit the heat exchangers.I feel like I'm more nimble without studs though.You can do controlled slides around turns, and lock the brakes up and spin right around to turn around on the road.If you tried that with studs, you'd flop right over.But all the real speed freaks say they can't ride without them, they need the enhanced traction and breaking.funny how I keep up with them just fine...

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Steve, I agree with you that studs hinder your ability to slide the ass end out. When I come around a blind corner and the guy coming at me hits the brakes and his ass slides out cause he has no studs and is going too fast around the corner, I'm glad I have studs, keep right and can brake harder than he can. It's not that hard to keep up, it's trying to keep up and be safe that's important. Studs aren't for everyone. I like em though.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol i agree steve i have no troble stayin with ppl with studs altho i dont travel with them much. even with the track tight on my xcr if u land real hard n bottom out u hear the track it the tunnel. the preveus owner had a studed track. it had 144 or 150 i cant rembember and 25 were ripped out. the lugs were in grat shap but there was a tear in it so i replaced it. u can see on the heat exchangers on mine and my bros new one where studs hit them when the suspension was bottomed out

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hey..

I think he'll regret pulling them out. I rode for years conviced they made no differance. I can't image driving without now, with the right carbides it like driving on rails, and the braking assit in huge. There in , try it first.. nothing to loose.
I've three machines with studs, My friend and I have over 12000 miles , with one bent backer. My last Xcr I have had two pull throughs on the outter edge, I bought this last sled used, the sled was picked way too long. Swapped on a 1.25 for more bite and will stud it as well in the center.
The rear exchanger is cut? Are there tunnel protectors? It should have come with them.
Your brother will like that purple monster, it does like clutching from stock.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There's no doubt that a studded track helps keep the rear in line.
Imagine this: You're screaming across a frozen lake at about 100+ MPH with no studs in the track and you hit bare ice. The rear gets totally sideways. You can't recover and there's a packed snow drift dead ahead that you're going to bite into in a couple seconds. Been there and unfortunately done that. I bailed off the back and when the sled hit the packed snow, it went flipping- rolling at first and then end-over-end up in the air in front of me. It sucked. If I hadn't bailed in time, I could have gotten seriously screwed up. Studs for me, thanks.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
the only problem, is that at 100mph the rear won't get sideways.... There is enough wind resistance that if you don't try to turn the sled will keep going perfectly straight :) see weathervane at dictionary.com for more info ;-)

I have had a slide and grip though, but that happens when your turning, not going straight for a top end run.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
we dont open them up unless we know whats a head on the lake. realy its not worth it studed or not to ope nit up on bare ice. ur just asking for trouble. my uncles friend last year had a studed track on his f7 he came out on the ice nailed it spunside ways the studs dug in and flipped it. id just rather have no studs inmine cuz my front heat exchanger has already been repaired and if it gets screwed i gotta take the engine out to replace it. plus its 300$ not worth it when u can b a little more causious and got with out them. 95% of ppl we travel with have none and we get along good. no accedents from not being able to stop fast enough. so realy its just what ever you want some ppl swear buy studs others like me dont care if i ever have them again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Originally posted by ripperd2
[br]the only problem, is that at 100mph the rear won't get sideways.... There is enough wind resistance that if you don't try to turn the sled will keep going perfectly straight :) see weathervane at dictionary.com for more info ;-)
I don't see anywhere in my above post where I stated if I was going completely straight or not. In fact, I don't believe that I was.
Was it a good idea to be turning slightly at that speed? Probably not, but I used to do it with my studded sled without incident.
Still, the shrewd arguments against running studs in this thread have made me rethink my position. NOT

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
lol, i wasn't stating for/against studs... Personally I don't run studs, but of course there has been a few places where I wished I had them. For one, an icy hill on a trail. There was only one way for me to make it up- hit it fast and hope I had enough momentum. Otherwise, I havn't had much problems with not having studs...

They do alot more damage to roadways and stuff though. Ever see where a snowmobile trail crosses a road? You can see the trail in the summer, going right accross the road. It's all chewed up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts