Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the good and the bad about the 98 polaris xlt special. I just bought one and wondering if i got myself into a money pit or if it was a good buy. i got it for 500 and just needs a new seat cover and it needs the carbs adjusted. Tell me What you know thanks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I got the same sled. This past winter was the third winter I have had it. Put roughly 2500 miles on it and have only had to put 1 plug. (one fouled but i did change all 3). only have had it serviced once since i have had it. just went over 6000 miles. Surely aint a money pit.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thats good to hear.How much power does it make like 95 or so? i havent done much research on it but its a pretty clean sled other than the seat

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
106 HP to be exact. I raced a 1998 XLT 600 with my 2001 Polaris XcSp, I took it untill about 95 mph. Then it krept away inch by inch past the 2km mark. I hit 100mph (on speedo) and he was about 10 feet in-front of me.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm well thats good enough for me. I just like trail riding and just riding in general. as long as its a good sled then hey thats all that counts

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
When you have the carbs off to clean them, check the piston skirts...

You'd be amazed now many XLT's are sold as "needs carb work" that have broken skirts.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh alright that should help me out a lot cause i do plan to clean the carbs.

·
Registered
564 Posts
A somewhat common problem I and a few other Polaris guys have had is the spark plug boots, its an easy 5 or 8 dollar fix (since u have a triple). It would be something good to check, see if there is any corrosion or loose connection to the plugs, otherwise thats the only prob I have had with mine so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts