Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1998 Polaris Xlt sp

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  JEEPS101 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me the good and the bad about the 98 polaris xlt special. I just bought one and wondering if i got myself into a money pit or if it was a good buy. i got it for 500 and just needs a new seat cover and it needs the carbs adjusted. Tell me What you know thanks.

#2 ·
I got the same sled. This past winter was the third winter I have had it. Put roughly 2500 miles on it and have only had to put 1 plug. (one fouled but i did change all 3). only have had it serviced once since i have had it. just went over 6000 miles. Surely aint a money pit.

#6 ·
106 HP to be exact. I raced a 1998 XLT 600 with my 2001 Polaris XcSp, I took it untill about 95 mph. Then it krept away inch by inch past the 2km mark. I hit 100mph (on speedo) and he was about 10 feet in-front of me.

#8 ·
When you have the carbs off to clean them, check the piston skirts...

You'd be amazed now many XLT's are sold as "needs carb work" that have broken skirts.

#10 ·
A somewhat common problem I and a few other Polaris guys have had is the spark plug boots, its an easy 5 or 8 dollar fix (since u have a triple). It would be something good to check, see if there is any corrosion or loose connection to the plugs, otherwise thats the only prob I have had with mine so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.