Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a 98 motor in a 99 chassis and the oil pump isnt the same. Can anybody help me with the connections on the pump

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
There were 3 oil lines exiting the oil pump on the 97 (and i think 98). One line went to each outside bearing, and one line went to the fuel pump.

On the later engines, there were 4 lines, one to each outside bearing, and one to each intake.

If you have oil fittings at the carb, you need to swap the oil pump from the 99 engine to the 98; it should work fine. Oil going to the carb to be mixed is more precise; there is no lag time when you hit the throttle; in the "Oil to the fuel pump" system, if you are idling, the oil pump meters oil at the idle rate; that oil ratio will fill the fuel bowls and all the fuel lines, so when you hit the throttle, you have to burn that fuel out before the mix will be appropriate; so you dont' have the appropriate oil ratio until the fuel catches up. The reverse is also true; if you are going full throttle, the oil mixed in the fuel pump fills the fuel bowls in the carbs and then when you go to idle, your ratio will be much higher than necessary. Direct lines to the carbs is better if you have the fittings on the carbs...

The fuel pump that mixes the oil in the fuel is a spendy item, they didn't make very many of 'em...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts