Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I picked up a 1998 XC 700 which I am hoping has the 220 heads, but my serial# reads 3380067 and the Juggs dont say 220 does this mean I am SOL. The guy who sold me it said it had them thus the reason I wanted it. I can still witdraw if I want.

Thanks,

JT

·
Registered
841 Posts
The 220 is the cylinder (or jug). You will find this number on the the bottom flange of the cyl, right where it bolts onto the crankcase. It is a longer number and the last 3 digits will be 220 or 824.
And don't be discouraged if you see 824. I won't say one is better than the other, they just have to be setup different.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The difference is in porting, slightly different with a bit more top end. You will see maybe a 1/2 sled difference in a 660' with all things being equal. Not a big thing especially if you will be porting the motor.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Exactly what ^^^^ he said, I've owned both versions and can tell you from HANDS ON EXPERIENCE that either one will run like a scalded dog if tuned properly, look at this clip of my "824" equipped sled, it should give you no doubts of what they are capable of.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/gallery/file.asp?id=8363&user=8010

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by 98700xc
[br]Exactly what ^^^^ he said, I've owned both versions and can tell you from HANDS ON EXPERIENCE that either one will run like a scalded dog if tuned properly, look at this clip of my "824" equipped sled, it should give you no doubts of what they are capable of.

That is a hole shot!!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Originally posted by tousij2
[br]
[br]Exactly what ^^^^ he said, I've owned both versions and can tell you from HANDS ON EXPERIENCE that either one will run like a scalded dog if tuned properly, look at this clip of my "824" equipped sled, it should give you no doubts of what they are capable of.

That is a hole shot!!!

They are fast sled but this is what happens when you have traction!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I agree, don't get hung up on the 220 vs 824 thing. You'll likely be smiling with either one. I'd guess that just under $2000 should get you a machine like that these days.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have the 824 in my sled and my clutch wasnt even working right and it still ripped I can wait to see what she will do with a new clutch parts. 824 or 220 98 700 xc still ripp

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have owned both versions and in my past experienced, Id say the 220 would be the best for drag racing than the 824. Im not saying you cant get the 824 to run - you can, change the CDI to '97 440 CDI (run higher octane fuel) add tractions and throw in some heavy weights. Its just because of the low ports of the 220, it would run lower revs and more low-end grunt than the 824. WL.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just cant wait to run this thing> I use to ride an SRX 7 with a little work and clearly remember the XC 700 killing me run after run. The transfer on the SRX was horrible but man that thing had top end.

Thanks Again this is the best snowmobile site hands down.

JT

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I tell everyone "this is the sled my mother warned me about" Mine will be for sale when I'm dead[attachment=48528]

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
I gotta say. . . I loved my 1998 XC 700 (220 heads). That thing gave me 6700 miles of smiles!! [:D] Best sounding Polaris twin made! Never seen another tailight in the 4 years I owned it. A buddy and me both had one, we nicknamed it, "The Ripper".

Loved your video 98700XC.

·
Registered
879 Posts

Steve- talk about see ya later???!! NICE! That's exactly why I desided to keep my 98 when I bought my Pro X. I looked at it and thought to myself, I could never let this thing go. It's too nice and didn't want to sell it to some shmuck that wasn't going to appreciate it. By far, fastest sled I have owned!

tousij2 - got a vid for ya. This is with the 220's, but believe me, the 824's are just as impressive. Clutched and tweaked they are fenominal.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/gallery/file.asp?id=10600&user=6950

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.