Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday night I was out and the sled was running great. We stopped at a friends for pizza, and when I got back out it atarted fine. Went to take off and it died, which happens sometimes when it is cold. I didn't think anything of it and just started it back up, and took it easy for a little while. When I decided to get on it again it fell on its face again. I have had it since 97 and this is the first time this has happened.

The bog thing which I have kinda bean working on, but not this. My initial thought was the stator. I don't know if that is or not though. It takes off at 4250-4500 I could get it up to 5000 to start moving some what, and then ease it up to 5500 not quite 6000. Which put me at about 20 mph. A couple of times I could nail it off the line and it took off but not for ling at all. Almost seamed like it wasn't getting enough gas. Correct me I am wrong, or if some one has a better schematic to look at, the fuel pump is in the tank on the EFI. I'm think maybe a fuel filter problem. I don't know where it is on the EFI though. Is it inline like the carbarated ones, which don't have the same pump, I don't even know if they have one at all?

I was thinking when it was the stator they move more than this. Is that the problem though? Oh ya the plugs looked fine golden brown. Any ways I am confused.

Sorry to type so much I just wanted to explain it all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed the plugs just to rule that out. It did no good. Disconnected the kill switch, nothing. Still doing it.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Bypass your ignition switch once and see if that helps. My sled did something quite similar last year. I bypassed the switch and now it runs fine.

A new ignition switch is about $25.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
You should have 3 wires connected to the back of your switch. Pull them off and connect the yellow and brown (I believe these were the correct colors). You will have to pull the plastic "caps" off unless you run a jumper wire. Your kill switch will still work.

This was on a '94 ZR, but I would think they would be the same. If there is only 2 wires, just connect the two. If that doesn't work leave them disconnected.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it isn't the ignition. Should I just change the stator???? Or do I pry in to it farther???? Could it be the fuel pump, or would it even run at all???

·
Registered
764 Posts
is it a 600? those years of 600 efi sleds are very prone to stators going, and it isnt the fact of "just changing the stator" thats like almost 2 grand to change i believe. It kinda sounds like the stator though

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by nicks98
[br]Friday night I was out and the sled was running great. We stopped at a friends for pizza, and when I got back out it atarted fine. Went to take off and it died, which happens sometimes when it is cold. I didn't think anything of it and just started it back up, and took it easy for a little while. When I decided to get on it again it fell on its face again. I have had it since 97 and this is the first time this has happened.

The bog thing which I have kinda bean working on, but not this. My initial thought was the stator. I don't know if that is or not though. It takes off at 4250-4500 I could get it up to 5000 to start moving some what, and then ease it up to 5500 not quite 6000. Which put me at about 20 mph. A couple of times I could nail it off the line and it took off but not for ling at all. Almost seamed like it wasn't getting enough gas. Correct me I am wrong, or if some one has a better schematic to look at, the fuel pump is in the tank on the EFI. I'm think maybe a fuel filter problem. I don't know where it is on the EFI though. Is it inline like the carbarated ones, which don't have the same pump, I don't even know if they have one at all?

I was thinking when it was the stator they move more than this. Is that the problem though? Oh ya the plugs looked fine golden brown. Any ways I am confused.

Sorry to type so much I just wanted to explain it all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The fuel pump on the 98's is in the tank. Connected to the pump are 2 "pick ups". They're about the size of a hockey puck. On the bottom there is a fine screen. These are your "smart filters". If there's the smallest tear anywhere on the smart filter your sled will act wierd. They also have to be set back in the tank with their "legs" down. Once you pull the pump out of the tank, slowly, you will see what I mean. Unbolt the back of the seat and lift it to help get the pump and guts out of the tank.
I see you tried bypassing the kill switch. Do you have a tether switch, like racers are required to use? Throw that piece of junk away. That causes more problems than anything I've seen in 8 years working at a Cat dealer.
The '98s are open ignition. That means if you disconnect a switch, you DO NOT have to jump the wires. Just unplug it, like the Polari have been for years.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your problem with bog is in your throttle lever. When you pull back on it with a lifting motion as when you are going around a corner, there is a micro switch that will kill the engine until the lever is straight again. That is a cheap repair as it is only plastic bushing on the throttle pin. As for your machine dying, it might be that your cable that goes to your injector on the front of your case(its a little hard to get to)might be gummed up and needs to be cleaned. Once again it is another sensor that shuts your sled down if the throttle sticks. Good luck Happy Holidays, Marty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts