Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1999 Arctic Cat ZL 500 EFI takes from 25-50 pulls to start and when it starts it smokes bluish/black smoke and wont rev real high. Kinda boggy. I have to hold it half throttle and feather it and play with throttle for it to get up and go but once i stop the sled and go again at does same thing. It starts 2nd pull once its warm but doesnt run real good. The sled hasnt been run in a couple years. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Check to make sure that the oil pump return spring is working.. Sounds like the oil pump is pumping full all the time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would first look in the air box and look for nests and other crap in there. then i would get the old gas out of the tank ( ether syphon the gas out of the tank or take tank off and drain). put in new gas,
does the engine rev higher with track in the air? I would spray some carb cleaners in the throttle body. might clean some varnish off the injector. also I have had a clutch issues cause low end bog were you have to feather the throttle. I dont know if your sled being EFI has a choke cable on the throttle bodys? but if it does I would definatly take the choke plunger out and clean and clean the seat it goes in. this can cause bogging issues, I would also put an in line spark tester in there and test spark and do a compression check with a gauge.( just because)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
like mentioned above if its been sitting that long get all the old crappy fuel and clean everything good and see where you end up

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it is the same sort of bog with track in the air. It takes forever to start and being EFI it should start within a couple pulls. It takes at least 25 when its cold. after like 25 pulls it will start for a split second then another pull and for a split second and finally will start but its boggy and smokes more black than blue. im so confused why it takes so long to start

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
we have 98 ZR600 EFI, and we had a bog but it ended up being the stator, and now i just got done doin a topend rebuild at 4300, runs like a champ now, start 3rd pull if it doesnt on the second even when cold

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Bobby18 said:
would the stator cause it to start hard?
If the engine isn't getting enough spark then yes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts