Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well since i didnt get to that v10 in time i stuck with a 99 3/4 ton 5.9 gas with 130000 on it new tranny i drove it home from new york city 6 hours away it ran awsome and never skipped a beat but when i was pulling the hills in the mountains it didnt seem to have all the power it should..note just had a 1996 5.9 gas with 183000 and sold it and it seemed to have a little more balls. im going in the am to buy a new air filter and probably new plugs..my ? is what is another great way to get more power out of this i want all i can get to pull my travel trailer ill post pics of the truck possible tomorrow

·
Registered
863 Posts
hmm, thats wierd. my friend just picked up a 2001 dodge ram 1500 sport 5.9, and it also doesnt have any power. it won't even spin the tires on pavement from a dead stop. i just thought it was weird because dodge's have a reputation for power. his truck also has 180km

·
Registered
567 Posts
cam cold air intake programer exhaust high flow cat regear just depends how deep in the wallet you wanna go this is what i have on my hemi.makes a difference a big difference. also a new fuel pump if you can get a larger than stock pump it will help

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my other dodge 5.9 never spun the tires ethier but it was guadcab 8 foot bet so i figure it was just the long wheel base

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
what gear ratio does it have???

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was just thinking that.. i will have to check tomorrow i know i was going up a hill today nothing that steep i didnt think i was heading up it 60 and it dropped almost right down to 50 pretty quick it doesnt seem like my 96 dodge with 183000 mils on it

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Really they cant spin the tires? thats awful, hell my little fourbanger will spin them. Might be because my sled probably weighs more. thats really weird, hemis have always been known for being ballsy.

·
Registered
863 Posts
the gears in the 5.9 magnum is 4:10 i'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
maybe its just a tad tired? i mean it is 10 years old and you are not sure how the first 130000 were put on, but first do a general tune up. plugs wires cap rotor oil, i did this to my durango when i owned it (it was the 5.2) and it helped out tons! i also ran synthetic rotella 5w-40 w/ the lucas oil stabilizer in it on every oil change and it worked amazing, i had a slight tick in my motor and it went away after 2 oil changes. also what kind of rpm's are you getting on the highway at say 65mph?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Regear would be the best cheapest way if your towing alot you can get a new set front and rear for 300 bucks from summet. Intake exhaust and chip would be the next step but right there is 800 bucks and with 800 bucks you could rebuild it. I personly would give it a nice tune up and regear it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have alot more power now after i changed the plugs now i did to put new wires disturbor and rotor on it i know those plugs i took out were the original champion plugs and for 1 those are junk so i think it just needs a good tune up

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
People think tires spinning = more power. Although it can be true, my dads 4.0 Ranger will burn them from a dead stop no problem, his 5.4 F-150 will not even come close to burning them from a dead stop.

Free up the exhaust a little. The 360 on the newer dodge trucks are dying to breath. Cold air intake and high flow cats. Different heads and cams. Or, if you want to spend some big money, Procharger sells a pretty decent kit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts