Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 1999 Polaris indy 500 I have had problems ever since I got it. It first had low compression on the right cylinder and I took it apart and found nothing then put new pistons in both cylinders until then I rode it and ow was fine for an hour then it locked up I took it all apart to just find out the bottom end bearing went out in the first place. I got a used bottom end put the original cylinder and the pistons back in and runs now.

It runs and starts fine but when I have the belt on and am riding it it only revs up to 6,000 and barely gets up to 40mph. Once I took the belt off and rev it up it goes up to 8,000 perfectly fine. I did a compression test last night and on burg cylinders it was 75 psi could this cause all this trouble I was riding it this week and it ran bad then I put new plugs in it and it ran great for about an hour and then started to do the same thing I again put new plugs in it and new ignition boots on and cut 1/4 off the wire. I’m completely lost on what’s wrong with it. Any help in a direction I need to take would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
So much wrong here. Sorry.

Don't EVER rev the sled with the belt off. You are asking to be impaled by something.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi I have a 1999 Polaris indy 500 I have had problems ever since I got it. It first had low compression on the right cylinder and I took it apart and found nothing then put new pistons in both cylinders until then I rode it and ow was fine for an hour then it locked up I took it all apart to just find out the bottom end bearing went out in the first place. I got a used bottom end put the original cylinder and the pistons back in and runs now.

It runs and starts fine but when I have the belt on and am riding it it only revs up to 6,000 and barely gets up to 40mph. Once I took the belt off and rev it up it goes up to 8,000 perfectly fine. I did a compression test last night and on burg cylinders it was 75 psi could this cause all this trouble I was riding it this week and it ran bad then I put new plugs in it and it ran great for about an hour and then started to do the same thing I again put new plugs in it and new ignition boots on and cut 1/4 off the wire. I’m completely lost on what’s wrong with it. Any help in a direction I need to take would be appreciated.
Have you checked the condition of your choke plungers? Is the rubber seal on the bottom on the plunger still in good shape? How about air mixture screws?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts