Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outta touch with Skidoo's my Brother in Law is looking at one, will be seeing it on Saturday morning.
Things to look for..? expected compression, issues with this sled? These are reed motors, right?, last I had was a rotary.
Overall handling , impressions ,comparisons ,expected price $$ in Cdn. Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have an "02 MXZ 500,love it."99 may not be reed yet,but should be a good choice.If he buys,I suggest a pair of precision skis as an upgrade though.
Rich

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I rode a 98 MXZ 500 on a big trip once and i really liked it. The suspension performed well, it had a tendency to pop the skis up alot, but that can be adjusted. The engine pulled smooth and strong on the trails, and the only complaint was flooding the engine at start-up. Some people simply prime it too much. It seemed to be a gas hog, but it uses just as much as most 500's. This one had the rotary valve engine which was quick to respond with the throttle. Very nice. The hand and thumb warmers work VERY well, almost too hot. HPG gas shocks never failed and took bumps with confidence. The sled feels light, so its easy to handle.

I say go for it! Buy that 500 if it's in good shape. Check to make sure the trailing arms aren't kinked or bent, because they bend easy, i've seen it. Also look for buckled rear tunnels, as they are a bit weak and would bend if the machine lands on its tail very hard. That's usually due to a stupid driver, however, in the past i've seen many bent Ski-doo tunnels.
Hope this helps and Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts