Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know the good bad and ugly about this sled. I found one and buddys asking over 2500$. It has a "refreshed motor" ( new crank seals, all new gaskets, water pump bearings and shaft, brand new pistons rings and wrist pin bearings, v force reeds, drive bearings done same time as motor). Is it still worth 2500$+? I cant justify spending that much on a 21 year old sled.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Price seems steep me. I just bought a 11 m8 with 2.5” new track , full slp intake and exhaust, power commander and powder pros for 2600. Also hit the wife a 13 shift with less than 1200 Miles for 2500. If I were you I’d keep looking.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I would have to agree that is a lot for a '99 XC. That said, it very much depends on the condition over all. How many miles on the chassis? The thing is, while these were tied to the the era of very little and evolving suspension they were great performers when set up right. I would take my '99 over my '12 switch at this point if for nothing more than simplicity. If I could find a nice big block twin in a clean chassis I would pay upwards of $2k. That is the fox body mustang of sleds to me. It's the one that got me hooked. What it did lack was reverse. I can pull start a mule still but not having reverse is a game changer now that I've sort of grown up!

Beat him up on the price over a few beers and see where you end up. Good luck.

...after a 136" RMK skid install with Camoplast Cobra track.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The good: a stout big block twin that when set up correctly can absolutely hold its own, easy to wrench on, Fox shocks (rebuildable) on the SP models, parts a plenty, great trail sled until you get into the big bumps we all seem to find some place along the ride, great looks(IMHO).

The bad: very few had crank bearing and water pump issues (belt and bearings), lack of reverse (if it did it was mechanical and a pain to service the chain case), not the greatest suspension if you compare it to anything 2005 and up, stock skis weren't the greatest, little fat in the weight dept....

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts