Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I pulled the cover off of the primary clutch that has 6 bolts in it, got it off. Now I am no pro at this just learning as I go, I was told this is a quick way to clean the clutch take the cover off then remove the spring, which i cannot get off, and spray brake kleen then use compressed air. It looks like the clutch needs to be removed to remove the spring??? I will probably need a puller to do this. Now I have noticed that one of my rollers on the clutch has 2 flat spots on it so this could be the cause of my mid range bog. So I am now probably going to rebuild the primary clutch, how should I go about this and what parts should I order. Also the spring is Black with green.

Now I also pulled the secondary off and took it apart, I was told to take a straight edge and the ends of spring should line up, well mine are out about a quarter of a turn. This spring is orange and my helix has 38X on it and that is it. I would imagine it is time for a new primary spring, now that I have it apart I may as well rebuild this now too. So if anyone has any helpful information I will be glad to hear them.

Thanks again this site is very helpful for the weekend mechanic.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Yes sir, you are in need of some major repairs!! For starters, the stock spring is Dark Blue with a White stripe, the bushings are wide roller or ".540", and yes, that will create a mid range bog with flat spots in them, and possibly damaged the weights. I've got the part numbers in the garage if you need them, have a bag of bushings I use when it comes time like what you are experiencing
As for the secondary, spring out of alignment, toss it, get the stock Silver/blue, the Helix is pretty aggressive, I would step back to a 50/34 or 50/36, stock Helix is a R-11 or 45/36.
Just so you don't get sticker shock, US prices for the springs are around $35/spring, Helix will be around $80, bushings I believe are around $5/bushing, clutch puller around $35. Let me know if I can help you out, have 3 of those '99 SKS700's know them inside and out!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I get the primary clutch off of the sled with the purchase of a puller will I need special tools to get the spider out and also to change the roller???

I was told I dont need to remove my primary to replace the spring but I can't get the spring off. The clutch has to come off anyway I just dont see how this can be done without removing the clutch.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Buy the puller first, get the primary off the crankshaft, we can PM each other from here, I can take you step by step with photo's to show you what needs to be done on the bushings and rebuilding process. I have a couple of clutches that need to be rebuilt also

1 - 4 of 4 Posts