Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any sugjestions would be great... I Just took my SX 500 out for a ride and I have burned out all the old gas and its running fresh new gas, and runs normal and fine. I've noticed that it has great snap and power when its moving only. Its off-the-line Take-off sucks. I know that the motor can rev out at high rpms.. but I dont understand why its not pulling hard from a stand still. Should I do somthing with the primary clutching? thanks

-Jake

[galleryattach=13197]

·
Registered
841 Posts
Before you go changing weights and springs, check things like belt condition, deflection, general clutch shape, etc.
If things look ok, see what parts you have in there. Weights, spring color.
What rpm is the primary engaging?
What is your WOT rpm?
How about the secondary spring setting?

Now for some hot setups, you need to visit http://www.totallyamaha.com/
Go to the tech section.....snowmobile....User clutch charts
There are a few for your style of sled.
Not to steer you away from SF, but post your question on TY. There are some clutch guru's there that are sure to help you out.

Hah, isn't it fun buying a new sled and then trying to set it up the way you want.
Keep asking questions, and we'll get her rippin.[:p]

·
Registered
528 Posts
Probably track spin. The stock Yamaha tracks suck, the best performance improvement that you can make is a Camoplast track, either a predator 6-pitch or a Ripsaw.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Originally posted by Dutchman
[br]Before you go changing weights and springs, check things like belt condition, deflection, general clutch shape, etc.
If things look ok, see what parts you have in there. Weights, spring color.
What rpm is the primary engaging?
What is your WOT rpm?
How about the secondary spring setting?

i agree..also check center to center(if you have a tool or can borrow one) do that stuff first and post back with the info

you need to have a healthy clutch to start with.

when your ready I'll give ya some ideas that may help
a little...[;)]

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have an sxr 500 and I put a new spring in the primary and 1" kimpex (ultimate traction) track and it has alot better hook up but i would really suggest getting weight transfer bars for the suspension.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.. Heres the facts: Belt Is brand new and i made sure there wasnt like just or anything nasty on clutches, and all that Jazz. It still seems like it engages too soon for some reason... But I have Yet to Go back out and see exactly what RPM it engages, what spring colors are, ect.. i'll post a new reply later on tonight. Also, I do notice that the Track is basically Junk. I have a buddy with a Camoplast 1" with 1" studs in decent condition.. he wants 150.00 for it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do agree, but I dont know.. Its almost new track for like 150.00. I dont know if i really want to go and rip them all out. but i'll let things fall into place.. they always do. Maybe somthing else will come along in the next few weeks. I usually ride in pretty deep snow here, but I also do plenty of trail riding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts